Hi! I'm programming TI-83s and 84s in TI-BASIC. I've googled this, and also looked at the previous forum topics here, but I came up empty. Apologies if there's an answer and I missed it.

I'd like to use all 8 lines of the home screen to display information that the user can read. But I can't just execute a Stop. Since the firmware upgrades that support Mathprint on the original TI-84+, when a program ends it displays "Done", then skips 1½ lines, so only the last 5½ lines of output remain visible. I found advice to put :" as the last line of the program, but that didn't work.

Using the following method, I can get 7 lines visible on an original TI-84+, and presumably 9 on the TI-84+C/CE. I have to show a "Press Enter" instruction, because otherwise it looks like the program has hung. (Students are easily flustered. Smile) I put ClrHome after the Pause, because there's not much point to having only part of my output remain.

Code:
:Disp "A","B","C","D","E","F","G"
:Output(8,6,"Press Enter"):Pause:ClrHome:Stop

Is there any code that leaves my text visible on all 8 lines after the program ends? I need something that will work in Mathprint or Classic, on TI-83+ and TI-84+, without looking bad on the 84+C/CE. (I know the latter have two extra lines on the screen, but I'm trying not to have separate programs for them. I'm not averse to using the 94ΔX cross-calculator check to use different code for them, though.)

Thanks!
Stan in Dryden wrote:
Hi! I'm programming TI-83s and 84s in TI-BASIC. I've googled this, and also looked at the previous forum topics here, but I came up empty. Apologies if there's an answer and I missed it.

I'd like to use all 8 lines of the home screen to display information that the user can read. But I can't just execute a Stop. Since the firmware upgrades that support Mathprint on the original TI-84+, when a program ends it displays "Done", then skips 1½ lines, so only the last 5½ lines of output remain visible. I found advice to put :" as the last line of the program, but that didn't work.

Using the following method, I can get 7 lines visible on an original TI-84+, and presumably 9 on the TI-84+C/CE. I have to show a "Press Enter" instruction, because otherwise it looks like the program has hung. (Students are easily flustered. Smile) I put ClrHome after the Pause, because there's not much point to having only part of my output remain.

Code:
:Disp "A","B","C","D","E","F","G"
:Output(8,6,"Press Enter"):Pause:ClrHome:Stop

Is there any code that leaves my text visible on all 8 lines after the program ends? I need something that will work in Mathprint or Classic, on TI-83+ and TI-84+, without looking bad on the 84+C/CE. (I know the latter have two extra lines on the screen, but I'm trying not to have separate programs for them. I'm not averse to using the 94ΔX cross-calculator check to use different code for them, though.)

Thanks!

I don't think you can keep them all on the screen and end your program, however, what you could have is just a quick Repeat loop at the end of your program that will take any input from the keyboard to end (so that confused students can literally press any button to exit Razz)like this:

Code:
Disp "A","B","C","D","E","F","G","H"
Repeat getKey
End
ClrHome

But once again, the user would still have to press something to leave the program. If you have 8 lines, then I'd have to check on this, but I think you might be able to make it using text( and have it work on both monochrome and color calculators (although looking radically different on both), except that it would take the whole screen on the monochrome calcs, while it would be pretty bunched up on the color calcs, but still not require you to check what type of calc you have. This method (if even possible) would allow you to display them and have the program end without the user having to press any keys.

Another option although I'm not a big fan of it, would be to add a little timer at the end and just have the program end on it's own after a certain amount of time, therefore not requiring any input from the user like this:

Code:
startTmr1
checkTmr(1->A
While Ans=!10
checkTmr(1)-A
End
ClrHome

The 10 is the time, in seconds, that you want to give it before it ends.
mr womp womp wrote:

Code:
Repeat getKey
End
ClrHome

Thanks for suggesting this. Do you actually get A through H displayed n screen? When I run this, either in Mathprint or Classic mode, I get A through H, then a blank line, so what remains visible is B through H and a blank line. (But I was surprised to see how much faster the output is in Classic, on my black and white TI-84+.)

I can get A through H on screen at once if I display the last line with Output rather than Disp:

Code:
Disp "A","B","C","D","E","F","G"
Output(8,1,"H")
Repeat getKey:End:ClrHome

A little clunky, but way better than I had before. Thanks!
Stan in Dryden wrote:
mr womp womp wrote:

Code:
Repeat getKey
End
ClrHome

Thanks for suggesting this. Do you actually get A through H displayed n screen? When I run this, either in Mathprint or Classic mode, I get A through H, then a blank line, so what remains visible is B through H and a blank line. (But I was surprised to see how much faster the output is in Classic, on my black and white TI-84+.)

I can get A through H on screen at once if I display the last line with Output rather than Disp:

Code:
Disp "A","B","C","D","E","F","G"
Output(8,1,"H")
Repeat getKey:End:ClrHome

A little clunky, but way better than I had before. Thanks!

Yes, sorry about that, I forgot Disp isn't like output, but yes, it is considerably faster to display things with output, and you can display them wherever you want Smile Also, Output wraps the text at the end of the screen unlike Disp, which just puts suspension points. Not particularly useful for this program (unless you were to put each character with 26 spaces between them which would be an atrocity and pls dont do that) but it's still good to know Smile I don't think mp or cl modes make any difference when it comes to displaying things with ti-basic.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours