stupid asshole.

as most of you know, I strongly dislike it when people imply that you have to use xLib to make good games in Basic. recently an outbreak of pure Basic vs xLib arguments have broken out on UTI, and I being me have politely expressed my opinion on such matters. In this as well as a topic we have had on politics and in one on h@cking windows to bypass proxy servers, he has taken it as his personal vendetta to contradict everything I say and tried to start arguments.

I dont mind this since he really has no coherency to his arguments and/or they are just plain wrong but now I am pissed.

Babyboy just turned over his Final Fantasy project which was to be in pure Basic to this utter n00b.

conversation follows.

Kygora:
Quote:

ok i got the game on my calc

i takes up so much memory i was wonderin if anybody cared if i used xlib to halve th amount of memory it takes but not change the game play oh and make it go faster

SilverCalcKnight:
Quote:

Sorry to break it to you, but yes, some of us would care if you used xLib. While it's advantages are large and substantial, it's disadvantage is as well: it's big. Very big. Bigger than Patrick Deul. Like, so big, that it causes your calc's waistline to expand 3 inches. Very Happy
All analogies aside, some of us would mind, but others will not. I personally don't care, but that's because I have the TI-84+SE and that has more archive space than a library. Arrgh, I need to stop now...
By the way, if I were you, I'd activate your Flame Shield® now...

-SilverCalcKnight-

Babyboy:
Quote:
notice with the game there was only ONE file, One file for the WHOLE game, that is all i would like to see saved in the transfer of pwnership

kygora:
Quote:

ok ill make two versions xlib and non xlib

but the non xlib one will take up all the ram due to the fact it already takes 20000 ram

elfprince13:
Quote:

Neutral or you could just optimize your code and learn to display sprites on your own.

Babyboy:
Quote:

lol

Arcane Wizard:
Quote:

kygora: [quote=]i takes up so much memory i was wonderin if anybody cared if i used xlib to halve th amount of memory it takes but not change the game play oh and make it go faster
Sounds like a valid reason. : )

Quote:
Sorry to break it to you, but yes, some of us would care if you used xLib. While it's advantages are large and substantial, it's disadvantage is as well: it's big. Very big. Bigger than Patrick Deul. Like, so big, that it causes your calc's waistline to expand 3 inches.
If the overall installation is smaller nobody should mind about the size of xLib itself.

Quote:
ok ill make two versions xlib and non xlib
Good idea. : )

Quote:
Neutral or you could just optimize your code and learn to display sprites on your own.
Maybe it's just me, but could you express your ego trips somewhere else? Comments like these are getting really old, not to mention unwarranted since he says he will make 2 versions one with and one without xlib.

[/quote]

anyway is it just me or is that sort of an a thing for him to say?
Kygora is a complete noob. This project has been going for longer than he has had a calculator. It gets handed to him. The author tells him no xlib. He says he will use it anyway. I suggest that he just learn to display sprites on his own and optimize his code. Good practice for a noob anyway. the author finds this amusing. Arcane tells Kygora to go ahead and use xlib anyway and calls it ego tripping to try and tell a noob to respect the original author's wishes.
Mad
I'd reply with the definition of an ego trip and ask him how your post was one Wink
Very Happy http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopic=4584&st=40&p=80938&#entry80938
I kind of hate having to use external programs to run games (unless its a shell, like DCS), and it would be a lot better without Xlib. In my opinion, being able to make a good game with good sprites (and optimizing it!) is a sign of good programming Wink !
I think so also, but BASIC has its limits, and that is where the libs are handy
I personally am against the use of libs; I think they just encourage inefficient coding and regression. If you want to do the cool things libs allow, either write your program in ASM, write your own custom ASM libs (discards the features you don't need, faster, smaller), or do what you're trying to do in pure BASIC. Just my $0.02.
Personally, I think BASIC is just a tutorial language; you're not really meant to use it; it's just too inefficient and requires very little thought to code a program.

@elfprince13: arcane's always been that way Rolling Eyes
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Personally, I think BASIC is just a tutorial language; you're not really meant to use it; it's just too inefficient and requires very little thought to code a program.

@elfprince13: arcane's always been that way Rolling Eyes
I remember the arguments you used to get into with him. I think some of them may still be there somewhere. Laughing
I've heard talk of them moving all of my posts to a new section of the spam subforum, but so far all I see are my posts labeled as spam Laughing

And there are A TON of arguments still there (about 95%)
I noticed some of the stuff about the RGB LCD vs. the TICI 1.0 CSA are still there too.
rivereye wrote:
I think so also, but BASIC has its limits, and that is where the libs are handy
The primary limit is that it is slow. Or maybe I missed some key optimizations in my program... I'll make a thread about it momentarily.

Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

I think that really just depends on the programmer. The programmer can make the code extremely inefficient. Also I think it took quite a lot of thought to make Frog RPG or many other great BASIC programs.
it all depends how you use it.

I have nothing against people using xLib, but it pisses the h311 out of me when people start claiming you have to use it to make a good Basic program.

and it requires as much though as you put into it.
elfprince13 wrote:
it all depends how you use it.

I have nothing against people using xLib, but it pisses the h311 out of me when people start claiming you have to use it to make a good Basic program.

and it requires as much though as you put into it.
I agree completely with you on that. BASIC is easy enough; don't use xlib as a crutch.
I wouldn't call it a crutch. You've got to admit that it does add functionality to BASIC programs and makes games like xlib xlib revolution possible at that speed. However, if you mean crutch like a tool that prevents one from learning good coding practices, then I agree.
http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopic=7042&hl=arcane+wizard

Laughing Oh how the mighty have fallen.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

shrooms'll do that to a person Wink not that he ever admitted it directly, but he was hinting at it, and well, you reember his interests. The last six months or so before he got banned he was just hanging around stir up trouble. AlienCC and I must have talked at least twice a week over whether the latest incident was ban worthy or not.
You really have been gone a long time though O_o

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours