For a while now, my computer would randomly crash: and by that I mean, it would just shutoff (not properly either) immediately at random times for no real reason. Well, I ignored it the first few times as this was windows we were talking about, but the problem persisted. So finally, I decided I would send the error report and see what they thought the problem was.

The result of which came to a great surprise to me. Read here. It claims that Graphlink was behind all the problems on my computer Laughing This little calculator transfer program, was responsible for such massive destruction on my computer.

I don't know what to do now, though. I have to hurt either my calculator or my computer. This decision is killing me Sad
I vote you get rid of GraphLink and use SC2 instead. Smile
Aye, that is probably the best solution, but I can't help but wonder how so much destruction could be caused by, of all things, a calculator transfer program. Laughing
wierd. it works fine on my computer.

anyway, just use TI-Connect and SourceCoder (when its working Neutral )
Chipmaster wrote:
Well, I ignored it the first few times as this was windows we were talking about...

Laughing I have Windows XP and it never gives me problems. It always works as expected.
did you check ticalc.sys?
Graphlink is 16-bit, it could you VDM is corrupyt in windows. Run another 16 it prog and see if you get the same problems.

VDM = Virtual DOS Manager
WoW = Windows on Windows
elfprince13 wrote:
wierd. it works fine on my computer.

anyway, just use TI-Connect and SourceCoder (when its working Neutral )
Why, did I forget to fix that last bork? Drat.
rivereye wrote:
Graphlink is 16-bit, it could you VDM is corrupyt in windows. Run another 16 it prog and see if you get the same problems.

VDM = Virtual DOS Manager
WoW = Windows on Windows

Could you recommend a 16 bit program to run. I'm not sure how to tell the difference.
just try regedit (its is 16 bit), otherwise, dig out an old DOS game
Runs fine Smile

How could the registry editor not run fine?

Edit: And it's not like I was even using graphlink at the time. It just randomly crashed for no good reason.
I'll give you that, I don't know then
rivereye wrote:
just try regedit (its is 16 bit), otherwise, dig out an old DOS game

Regedit isn't 16bit on windows XP - not sure about older windows....

TI-GraphLink is prolly crashing your comp due to the 16-bit drivers it installs (drivers that you don't need anyway)
Maybe you could try using a different program to transfer files to and from your calc? (assuming that you have a black TI graphlink and not one of the newer USB ones)
I do use TIconnect, but I downloaded Graphlink for it's programming capabilities. I really have no need for it anyways because I have that obscure beta version of TIConnect with the program editor for Windows. Very Happy

And I do have a usb cable, but TIConnect works fine with that Confused

What exactly is the difference between a 16 bit program and a 32 bit (if that exists)?

Edit: Oh, and to make it clear: I delete ticalc.sys, and my computer seems to be stable. Stability will be determined based on if it crashes in the next few days.
Win95 and 98 used 16-bit architectures, whereas later ones have used 32- and even 64-bit architectures. It has to do with the maximum native register size.
KermMartian wrote:
It has to do with the maximum native register size.
I got you. So the TI83 would be 16 bit because the maximum registor is 16 bit?
Kinda. Technically, the z80 is only an 8bit processor: a,b,c,d,e,f,h,l. However, the z80 that TI uses is a z80k, which has virtual register pairing to allow for 16-bit operations.
KermMartian wrote:
Win95 and 98 used 16-bit architectures, whereas later ones have used 32- and even 64-bit architectures. It has to do with the maximum native register size.

*smacks Kerm*

Win2.0 was the last 16-bit only windows, from Win3.0 to Windows ME it is a hybrid 16bit/32bit (meaning the kernel and such are 32bit, but some libraries and programs included were still 16bit). This is why Windows3.1+ could address more than 65kb of RAM Wink (although at the time some CPUs were using partial-higher bit addressing, such as the Intel 8086 which had 20bit memory addressing abilities for a whopping 1mb RAM max Very Happy ) NT 3.1 (1993) was MS's first all-32bit OS.

the bit size not only refers to the register size, but also the memory addressing abilities of the CPU along with the size of the various paths in the core
Oh right, I forgot about the hybrid 32-bit architecture. Silly me. Rolling Eyes

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours