Indeed. Ah, nostalgia.
anyway, turns out this weekend was prom weekend for most of New England, and most of the attendees of the conference are Juniors and Seniors, so they decided to hold a dance. hadnt been to one in 4 years, and about 45 minutes after it started, open mike started as well in a different location and almost everyone went to that. I ended up as the only guy at a dance with a bunch of girls, none of whom knew that I am nerd Very Happy
Sweet Very Happy I assume you took advantage of the situation? Cool
Cool
man, if only I could get the lucky
elfprince13 wrote:
I ended up as the only guy at a dance with a bunch of girls, none of whom knew that I am nerd Very Happy

Surprised How did you manage that?
I would have blown it in about 10 seconds
Kuro wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
I ended up as the only guy at a dance with a bunch of girls, none of whom knew that I am nerd Very Happy

Surprised How did you manage that?

I don't know why a lot of people at my school think calling me a nerd or a geek is insulting...
Yeah, I consider it a compliment; my definition of nerd/geek is smart, techno-savvy, and handsome/suave (for me, at least). Cool
I dont mind being a nerd, but the term seems to drive off the girls <_<

anyway, since this was an all New England/New York conference, I just kept my programming tendencies under wraps from the girls for 4 days. didn't even bring my calc, even though people were running around with laptops.

I did find a couple of other hackers to hang out with at meals.
elfprince13 wrote:
what is his name? Im gonna ask Pat if he knows him.

my name will not be posted on these forums or anywhere online
i will however tell you that my brothers name is Kyle and his last name starts w/ an M

graduated the same year as Kerm
KermMartian wrote:
Yeah, I consider it a compliment; my definition of nerd/geek is smart, techno-savvy, and handsome/suave (for me, at least). Cool

Ditto. I think its funny sometimes when people call me that and expect a false response. Because not only do I not care being called a nerd or a geek, but they just humiliate them selves when they dont get a negetive response that they wanted Laughing .
Surprisingly, I'm not really know as being a nerd at my school. I'm on the hockey team, and I have many non-computer savy friends. I'm pretty sure that most people know me for my intelligence in math and science, and at my school (or at least in my classes) this is generally a positive thing. People often ask me questions and have me clarify things (leading me to begin tutoring as a part-time job), and I actually make many friendships this way. To this date, I have never been called a nerd in a negative way, and rarely in a positive way either. Perhaps if they only knew that I post online at calculator forums they would change their minds, but they definitely know (and take advantage of (in a positive way)) the fact that I'm very skilled with calculators.
It's been used towards me derogatively before, but the vast majority of the times it's meant as a complement, at least where I go to school.
very true. Now everyone it seems at my school knows of my abilitys on a comp and calc
Quote:
didn't even bring my calc

Surprised You're unclean! Laughing
I don't even want to think what would happen to me if it spread around at school that i posted on a calculator forum almost every day... Evil or Very Mad

I am pretty much the only person who actually programs everything (some kid started a rumor that i could play Halo on my calculator, for a while everyone asked me if I could play halo on my calculator... IT WAS SO FREAKING ANNOYING! Mad )
How has that been expressed? Are you now mobbed with chix with broken calcs, or just shunned? Very Happy
the problem is at my school, the only stereotype they can come up with for me is ""nerd"" which has negative connotations (I dont mind it)....

Perhaps 1337, or hacker would be better, but nobody knows what 1337 means, and hacker has been given negative connotations by the media.
Indeed. That's why I like going to schools such as the ones I have, where people understand what 1337 is and can worship us as such.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours