Hello,
I'm building my own Z80.
It is going to have RAM and ROM (I'm not yet sure about how much of each I will be using, but I bought some 64k chips of each), an UART and a MicroVGA graphics card. I will program an os for it.
While I do realize the learning experience that this could provide, I am hesitant to agree, as this is a huge undertaking. Programming an OS is not easy, and writing things that agree with the display driver would be a challenge. If you believe that you have the will and the technical prowess to pull this off, then it is up to your to decide what to do. Smile Good luck; and I can't wait to see what you might end up creating!

(Personally I prefer building modern desktops or laptops from scratch, as it is still enjoyable and customizable, and in the end is more useful. Just a thought. Smile )
*bump* Out of curiosity, did you ever make any progress on this project? I agree that it's a very ambitious one, but if you find it fun, then more power to you.
KermMartian wrote:
*bump* Out of curiosity, did you ever make any progress on this project? I agree that it's a very ambitious one, but if you find it fun, then more power to you.

Not yet sadly. I am still waiting for the last part to arrive, so that I can start.
Should you ever get to work on this, I suggest checking BenRyves computer. You can check it out at http://benryves.com/projects/z80computer.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours