Okay, first off, I am NOT an EE so if this sounds stupid I'm sorry. Anyway, is there any way you could make a wifi detector that could plug into an 83+/84+'s I/O or usb port? Or what about a radar detector? Is it possible or would it be extremely hard/expensive?
The I/O may be a tad bit harder than the USB, but you would have to be able to write the drive for it. For the wifi detector, you may be better of buying one (they don't seem to be expensive), same with the radar detector
Yeah, I kind of figured it would be easier to just buy one. You must admit, though. A TI-84+ wifi detector would give you ultimate geek bragging rights Razz
yeah, especially since I carry around a laptop all day in school, along with a calc in my bakc pocket, and a USB thumb drive
Wow, beats me. I just have 2 calcs and a flash drive with me at school and one of the calcs is a scientific casio Sad

The calcs are named, though.

My scientific casio is Cassie and my TI-84+SE is Luise, but I call her Weezy for short. Very Happy
You *COULD* buy a USB wifi adapter and plug that into the ti-84+, then you would just have to write drivers and software for it, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about doing any soldering and such

if there are open source wifi drivers for it then you could learn how the chipset communicates, and that is over half the battle right there
power may be a problem, as I don't think the 84+ USB port would have enough without external power to suppor wifi (butit shouldn't be hard to add)
You might almost be better off interfacing with a PIC...
KermMartian wrote:
You might almost be better off interfacing with a PIC...

Yeah, I have no clue what that is...

/me puts on the 'noob' hat.
http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/review/kensington_wifi_finder_review

It can be yours for $25 Wink (Although it'll detect anything operating on the 2.4 GHz band)

More wifi detectors: http://www.handtops.com/show/news/68
On the Kensington: " But this product is not the answer." I agree - I've seen one of them in action, and it's exceedingly lame.
Yeah; hence the disclaimer in my post Wink They will pick up ANYTHING in the 2.4 GHz band (like my brain waves Laughing)
Psh, you're 2.4? Mine are all on the 5GHz range.
Laughing Mine are 2.4 when I'm dormant Razz
Haha, thanks, guys.
My brainwaves are on the terahertz frequency. It drives bats nuts. Razz
Shock They can't hear terahertz, only hundreds of KHz.
Buy a Nintendo DS Lite with Mario Kart and search for WiFi access points. Razz
Suicide_Guy wrote:
Buy a Nintendo DS Lite with Mario Kart and search for WiFi access points. Razz
Or use your handy dandy 3.8lb tablet PC. Very Happy
Both of those sound like extremely expensive alternatives to a $20 device Rolling Eyes

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours