I've been learning z80 ASM for quite some time now, and since I bought the TI-84+ CE, I've also learned about the "new" ez80 CPU. I'm not gonna consider myself to be an analyzer for a new CPU, but from what I have read in the forums, the ez80 CPU is supposed to be much faster (just by a comparison in clock speeds). The question is whether writing z80 ASM is relatively the same as writing ez80 ASM.

I know that there are a few new opcodes and instructions for the CPU, but is it necessary to make another ASM tutorial targeted specifically for ez80, or is a simple change in some code enough to fit the new CPU?
Writing eZ80 Asm is, indeed very similar. I am new to it, but was able to relatively simply convert a TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition password program from Z80 to eZ80 Asm. There is a new include file for the TI-84 Plus CE, and bcalls are now calls. The CPU now operates on registers in 24-bit mode, which takes some getting used to. The last main difference is that we cannot program apps yet, since TI has not released a signing key.

There is no need to make an entire Asm tutorial just for the eZ80. In addition, there is already eZ80 documentation.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours