Can someone explain to me how AP exams work? Because I hear they're optional...
You sort of need to actually take the exam to get college credits. Without the exam then you just took the class for the fun of it (hopefully).
When you take classes in high school, some of them may be 'advanced', 'AP', whatever. If you take the test in that subject at the end of the year and get a 4 or 5 (out of 5), then SOME colleges let you use that credit to get out of intro courses.
They also look good on a transcript.
I've also heard that some people take the test without taking the class; would you still get a class credit for passing the AP exam in that case?
I think you would still get the credit but I'm not sure. The exam is supposed to measure how proficient you are in the subject, and if you are proficient, maybe you might get the credit even if you didn't take the class.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
I've also heard that some people take the test without taking the class; would you still get a class credit for passing the AP exam in that case?

You would still get the AP credit, but do realize that the AP tests are HARD and they cost money - so they aren't really something just to take and see how you did....
My course load next year (school doesn't have AP courses):

English 12 Honors
American Society Honors 12
Gym

Calc II (college)
Algorithmic Programming Techniques (college)

And I still get to go to college at 17 Smile
Kllrnohj wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

You would still get the AP credit, but do realize that the AP tests are HARD and they cost money - so they aren't really something just to take and see how you did....

Our school district pays for the test as long as you take the actual class. It is better to take the class and then take the test.
Provided your school offers it that is.
I've got something along the lines of

AP Computer Science
AP Earth/Environmental (maybe)
AP Chemistry
Chem II Honors
English 4 (H?)
German 5 (highest level german student EVER at my school Smile)

and a few more courses...
I have (hopefully) next year

MCSE
PDM
Physics
Writing for the real world

(and I can't think of my other classes right now)
IB Physics II
IB English Something
IB History of the Americas
IB Computer Science
IB Art II
IB Biology II
IB Spanish IV
IB Methods II
Summer:
>>MA240 Differential Equations

Fall:
>>MA223 Vector Calculus
>>PH291 Physics Lab
>>PH291L Physics Lab Lecture
>>PH213 Physics E&M (Physics 2)
>>PH213L Physics E&M Lecture
>>ECE141 Circuits
>>ECE161 Programming Languages
>>ESC000.3 Engineering Seminar
>>HSS3 Humanities
humanitities... why can't they offer that at my school... maybe people would stop throwing crap on the floor of the library...
rofl, tell me about it. It's my only liberal arts class. Smile
Forest21 wrote:
IB Physics II
IB English Something
IB History of the Americas
IB Computer Science
IB Art II
IB Biology II
IB Spanish IV
IB Methods II

I'm so jealous. Our dumb IB program won't let us take physics and they don't even offer regular Computer Science. Arrgh! Doesn't your IB require a TOK class? It looks like the only classes we will have in common are History of the Americas and English. Supposedly I'm not supposed to be taking Calculus/Methods because I haven't taken precalc, but I already submitted my course selection sheet and check off Calculus. Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Math teachers don't know anything. Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad
I was able to get into AP Physics without taking normal Physics Very Happy
something1990 wrote:
I'm so jealous. Our dumb IB program won't let us take physics and they don't even offer regular Computer Science. Arrgh! Doesn't your IB require a TOK class? It looks like the only classes we will have in common are History of the Americas and English. Supposedly I'm not supposed to be taking Calculus/Methods because I haven't taken precalc, but I already submitted my course selection sheet and check off Calculus. Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Math teachers don't know anything. Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

TOK is senior year
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
I was able to get into AP Physics without taking normal Physics Very Happy
AP Physics is normal physics, just accelerated for smart ppl.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours