Hello there,
So I've been thinking about upcoming 3rd party OSes. GlassOS will obviously have its own USB protocol, and KnightOS will have one, too - not to mention that they'll both prolly have their own I/O protocol, too. Instead of forcing every OS developer to make their own computer side programs that will end up interfering with each other and cause one great big mess, I think we should have a protocol for transfer protocols. There should be a means of transferring a script or something from calc->TiLP that tells TiLP how it should handle transfers to this OS.
If you want tilp to support your OS start reading up on the TI Link protocol docs or start writing patches for libticalcs. I can tell you right now both me and Lionel are busy enough supporting the calcs and protocols already in place. Razz
Would it be too difficult to add a simple transfer protocol that transfers a python script or something, then executes it?
SirCmpwn wrote:
Would it be too difficult to add a simple transfer protocol that transfers a python script or something, then executes it?
Yes.

You could write your own app that uses libticables to communicate with the calc and get this script, but doing anything like that in TILP would just be a dirty hack and bloat the already convoluted code base. If we were ever to make some generic third party OS scheme it would have to be much cleaner than grabbing a python script. Not to mention that you would still need to design a protocol for TILP to get this script from the calc and at that point you might as well do all communication with the third party OS using that protocol.

You would also have to make this in a way that won't also break support for the existing supported protocols and calcs. Which means there would have to either be a way to have the user select it, which means adding it to libticalcs, and then patching apps to support it. Like I said you would be better off just using TI's USB protocol or writing your own Linking app. Even Nspire support is more or less hacked on to TILP/libticalcs since that protocol is very dissimilar to the protocols used by the rest of the TI calcs.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours