The first part of my PC equipment comes tomorrow...

3.06ghz CPU
motherboard,
and 512mb RAM

for $200...

next week i get my case, and start building... so yeah... (i'll post links to pics and stuff later, but for now i dont have htem on hand...)
My calc has all that and I got it for free! Just Joking Razz
lol... that'd be awesome...

my calc only has 24k RAM...
So does mine, until I get a flash drive, a 5-8pin USB adapter, and knowledge of assembly.
lol... sounds good...

i'm just excited i'm finally gonna have a comp that can handle Halo on anything but minimal gfx...
Laughing
I know what you mean.
don't get me wrong, i love my lappy, but it's only 1.44ghz, and it cant do the sims2 with out dying every half hour or so...
does this mean more TI-Life soon?
quite possibly, assuming i care enough to buy windowz for it... (there's no way in hell you can emulate the sims2 with WINE or whatever... waaay to gfx intensive)
Let's hear more detailed specs. Cool
wait, you bought something to play Halo on, yet you won't run Windows, seems kind of odd
no, i'm saying as of yet i dont feel like buying windowz... i might later...

alright, i think this is the link to the mobo deal i got: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1778746&Sku=MCM-GVHZL-345

i'll be picking up a case that lights up from Newegg, and i already have a audio-sensitive light to put inside it Razz
Quote:
a 5-8pin USB adapter

a 5-4pin USB adapter

Nice comp so far alex! I assume that you already have a hard drive, videocard, etc.
alex10819 wrote:
quite possibly, assuming I care enough to buy windowz for it... (there's no way in hell you can emulate the sims2 with WINE or whatever... waaay to gfx intensive)

Sure you can, I ran HL2 and counter-strike source in cedega, so its definitely possible

Oh, and ghz is worthless, I'd stop using it entirely without at least a CPU model (such as a PM 1.44ghz - which would be able to keep up with a P4 3ghz just fine)
Intel's Ghz rating is simply used a method of comparison among like processors. Razz It's completely worthless if you ask me.

AMD's Ghz meaning is well, accurate; although, the Ghz will probably be a forgotten benchmark in the coming years.
Suicide_Guy wrote:
Intel's Ghz rating is simply used a method of comparison among like processors. Razz It's completely worthless if you ask me.

AMD's Ghz meaning is well, accurate; although, the Ghz will probably be a forgotten benchmark in the coming years.

what on earth are you babling about? ghz doesn't mean anything except between identical micro-architectures. A 2ghz AthlonXP will get owned by a 2ghz Athlon64, just like a 2ghz PentiumM will dominate a 3ghz Pentium4
Kllrnohj wrote:
Suicide_Guy wrote:

what on earth are you babling about? ghz doesn't mean anything except between identical micro-architectures. A 2ghz AthlonXP will get owned by a 2ghz Athlon64, just like a 2ghz PentiumM will dominate a 3ghz Pentium4
I must say I agree with Kllrnohj. A GHz is a GHz. I think what you're trying to say is that core speed is not everything. You also have to take into account number of cores, bus speed, L1 and L2 cache, etc.
KermMartian wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
Suicide_Guy wrote:

I must say I agree with Kllrnohj. A GHz is a GHz. I think what you're trying to say is that core speed is not everything. You also have to take into account number of cores, bus speed, L1 and L2 cache, etc.

...and more importantly, the instructions per clock cycle Wink
Or said differently, the efficiency of the instruction set used. Very Happy
KermMartian wrote:
Or said differently, the efficiency of the instruction set used. Very Happy

Confused no.... instructions per clock cycle varies from one micro-architecture to the next, hence the main reason an Athlon64 will outperform an AthlonXP at the same clockspeed by such a large margin, even though the instruction sets are identical

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours