Very Happy Kllrnohj is right about that. Smile Still, that's ambitious of you.
and here i thought i was doing good
You are, it's better than just deciding not to learn any new languages, but it's important to not be too cursory in your address of each lang.
how would i actually go about learning a computer language instead of syntax.
alex10819 wrote:
anything with "basic" in the name is a decent starter, so long as it doesnt teach him any bad habits... (you know, I'll be doing some PHP, and I'll write this out

Code:

<?php
if($var == 5):Then:

yeah, I caught myself doing that once, and wondering why I was getting some weird errors... ah well...

I will start typing python in Java occasionally and not even notice.
that would suck.
I know 12ish computer languages. thats not too bad.

my Dad knows 18 and will be typing Pascal, Smalltalk and C in a java program
Pascal is awesome...I want to learn it. What is it used for though?
lafferjm wrote:
how would I actually go about learning a computer language instead of syntax.

actually MAKE stuff in it. More than just "hello world" programs

see how far you can push it and make it do cool things. Get your typing error rate down to, or near, zero (as in everything you type works as expected) - then you have truly learned the language.
i am currently trying python but the included tutorial was confusing so i am going to search for another. Right now with QBASIC i am creating a text game.
um i saved a notepad file with a .vb extension and when i went to open it it said textfile.vb and looked like the notepad symbol. then after that i clicked on it and it opened up notepad and showed me the text. Laughing
two things:

1) try not to double post in the forum i'm moderating. I'll forgive you this time, and merge the posts... don't do it again Razz
2) that's useless knowledge... i think...
3) Learning a programming language is difficult if you dont have a certain ability. Every good programmer has to be able to "see" code, well before it is ever written...
lafferjm wrote:
I am currently trying python but the included tutorial was confusing so I am going to search for another. Right now with QBASIC I am creating a text game.

Dude, if you can't follow the included Python tutorial then you should just give up programming now. I mean seriously, you will be totally lost if you couldn't follow something that easy
I agree. I feel the people who made the Python tutorial and the people who made the language really did make it easy to understand. If you can't get past Python, then you really aren't ready for computer programming. Most major languages are object-oriented like Python.
Kllrnohj wrote:
lafferjm wrote:
I am currently trying python but the included tutorial was confusing so I am going to search for another. Right now with QBASIC I am creating a text game.

Dude, if you can't follow the included Python tutorial then you should just give up programming now. I mean seriously, you will be totally lost if you couldn't follow something that easy
I think the problem is trying to learn too many things at once.
Yeah that's a problem too.
true, and that is never good
A big hint for programming tutorials: Actually READ them. Don't skim over something that you think you already know. Also, compile/interpret every piece of code they give to you. Once you get it running, go through the code and tell yourself what each line does. If you don't know about one of the lines, go back and reread.
Exactly. Understanding sample code is key to understanding the language.
i searched for a different tutorial and it explained things fairly well. now the hard part: determining what in the world i want to do with the new knowledge now.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours