are there any computer languages simialar to qbasic out there? and also is there any other languages that can be done by using ms-dos except for the batch programming.
You know these questions really belong in the programming section. Once you've learned qbasic, you really ought to learn C++, Java, Python, etc. Finally, why do you want to use MS-DOS?
so that i do not have to wait forever for the download of a program.
What are you talking about?
with QBASIC, it comes with DOS. Downloading an IDE is not that bad (especially if you can dl at school and put on an external drive)
lafferjm wrote:
and also is there any other languages that can be done by using ms-dos except for the batch programming.
Why do you want to know how to program in MS-DOS?
lafferjm wrote:
are there any computer languages simialar to qbasic out there? and also is there any other languages that can be done by using ms-dos except for the batch programming.

no offense, but that is probably the stupidest request I've ever heard in my life. Next thing I know you'll be asking for FORTRAN or COBOL tutorials Rolling Eyes

Learn VB if you don't want to download anything, its been built into windows since win95 Razz
You know how lafferjm is. He wants everything easy and doesn't want to put a lot of effort into things.
something1990 wrote:
You know how lafferjm is. He wants everything easy and doesn't want to put a lot of effort into things.

thats not what i meant at all! Surprised

I was saying qbasic is worthless, MS-DOS sucks big time, and the only decent languages worth using all require a compiler and/or interperater (C/C++, Python, PHP, Perl, etc...)
I finally finished downloading Python! Very Happy I'm going to start learning it soon.
cool.. have fun with that...

of course, theres always Java Razz
I think QBasic isn't a bad place for him to start off with comp programming though.
anything with "basic" in the name is a decent starter, so long as it doesnt teach him any bad habits... (you know, i'll be doing some PHP, and i'll write this out

Code:

<?php
if($var == 5):Then:

yeah, i caught myself doing that once, and wondering why i was getting some weird errors... ah well...
I searched my computer for visual basic and i got two files but i need some program to open them. the two files are

Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

and

Microsoft.VisualBasic.Vsa.dll

those are the only files i found. what kind of program do i need to open them up with without messing anything up.
uh...its built in, you just save your VB code in a text file with a .vb extension (similar to how BAT files work)
so i just open up notepad and save it as .vb and then i have a visual basic program.
lafferjm wrote:
so I just open up notepad and save it as .vb and then I have a visual basic program.

yes
Exactly. There are some IDEs that make it simpler, but just using notepad should be fine for now.
then i guess i have the two languages that i want to learn for this week. once i learn python then visual basic then i will have learned three new ones in a week.
lafferjm wrote:
then I guess I have the two languages that I want to learn for this week. once I learn python then visual basic then I will have learned three new ones in a week.

thats not learning a language, thats learning its syntax. the difference being that you won't have a full grasp of its capabilities and included functions

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours