I might not need it, but do you still got that code Kerm? 0x5.

I have just finished a simple part of the project. The Forum side, not completed btw.

Right now I am using files to store the posts and topics in, but once elfprince does a bit of work on the SQL side, there will be set usernames and db stored posts!

Heres a little demo for you all (please note that I am still working on it a bit, so dont get mad if somethin screws Razz )

http://forumos.swivelgames.com/forum/viewforum.php
when making new topic, after attemping to post
Quote:
Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in /var/www/Forums_os/forum/addtopic.php on line 6

Just to let you know.

Interesting look there, but a little much overlap I think.
It should work now, try again

http://forumos.swivelgames.com/forum/viewforum.php
ok, no error this time, but you do need to look into the overlap thing (FF 1.5).
Ah I see. I am running suck a IE right now, so I will cahnge it. It might be because I am using span
Seems to work fine (in FF, haven't tried IE yet). I posted a topic in the General chat, but it got a bit scrambled, so here's a copy of what I wrote:

Code:

Lookin' pretty sweet right about now! The overlap thing is a bit goofy looking, but I bet it'd look pretty cool of you were to take out the line (from the big box)that runs through the two smaller boxes.

From this:
________
|  _____|__
|  |____|__|
|  _____|__
|  |____|__|
|_______|

To this:
________
|  _____|__
|  |_______|
|  _____|__
|  |_______|
|_______|

It'd be a real pain in the butt, but I bet you could figure it out :)
If you look, I just posted that I have only gotten it to the point were I have to use <br /> everytime I want a new line =/
You should START by making it VALID. Its an extremely simple design, yet already it has taken a crap all over standards

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fforumos.swivelgames.com%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D477882

start by fixing every validation error that shows up. And I mean ALL of them
Yup. Just caught that a minute ago. Curse my slow reaction time!

Neutral
There aren't AS many errors on the front page (index), so I'd start with that

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fforumos.swivelgames.com%2Fforum%2Fviewforum.php&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline
ok thx. 0x5

For some reason, when I put a doctype in the file, it screws up. I am thinking its cause I have php in it, but how do I set a doctype that lets php work in it?. 0x5
Ok, first off, NO DOUBLE POSTING!!!!

Second off, stop being an idiot and DON'T DOUBLE POST!

Third, the DOCTYPE must be the absolute first outputted line - if you have PHP before it, you cannot print anything before the DOCTYPE (so if you want to check/set cookies, make sure the DOCTYPE gets echo'd before anything else is echo'd) IF it screws everything up, it has absolutely nothing to do with there being php - stop being stupid - its because, *gasp* YOU HAVE HORRIBLE PAGE CODE!!!! So set the DOCTYPE, fix all the errors, and then work on improvements
Is it just me or does there seem to be more double posting today ?
it does seem that way (Kerm, am I getting payed to fix all these here?). The only time should you double post is when 24 hours has passed between posts, or there is a SIGNIFICANT reason for the double.
No, I'm noticing it too... Its like a sudden influx of stupidity....
Erm... dude, I never said I had php BEFORE the doctype. I pretty much just threw it all togather anyway.

I was going to worry about the errors later.

So...CHILL. I'll work on the errors. No need to freak out.

It would not load when I tried putting the Doctype in. When I put it in, it acted like the file was corrupt. So I took it out for the moment, and went back to programming. Again, I did not worry about simple errors like that, not untill I got the basic part done.
ok, leave the doctype out if you must, but fix all the other errors you can.
No, you must include the DOCTYPE - its one of the single most important tags, as it tells the browser how to render everything else (HTML, XML, XHTML, strict, transitional, what version, etc...)

Maybe if you spent more than like, 5 seconds on it you could figure it out, and then maybe, just MAYBE, the page would look OK on browsers that follow standards
If you dont like the page, then go away, I dont really care what you have to say right about now.

[EDIT]
Just fixed some major things. Check it out, does the look and everything work out well?

Also, I found out how to add auto line breaks.

Tell me what you think
[/EDIT]
Available Tags...
Code:
[b][/b] = Bold
[i][/i] = Italic
[u][/u] = Underline
[small][/small] = Small text
[super][/super] = Supertext
[sub][/sub] = Subtext
[strike][/strike] = Strikethrough
[hl=*hex or named color*][/hl] = Highlight
[color=*hex or named color*][/color] = Font Color
[font=*font face*][/font] = Changes font
[f=*font face* c=*hex or named color*][/fc] = Font and Color
[quote][/quote] = Quote
[bulleted][/bulleted] = Bullet
[center][/center] = Centered Text
[indent][/indent] = Indented Text
[url][/url] = Url
[url=*Address*][/url] = Url
[img][/img] = Img
[email][/email] = Email Address
[style][/style] = CSS Style(only for topic starters)

I dont think there are any others.
Some of the definitions are obvious, but oh well Razz .

What other tags would be good to add?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 4 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours