the $1200 was for a 2.8ghz AMD (on Newegg)

does anyone know where i can get some good deals, without skimping on my motherboard?
Was that a PIAB bundle for $1200 at least?!
alex10819 wrote:

does anyone know where I can get some good deals, without skimping on my motherboard?

lol! dude, you went straight for an FX-60, didn't you? thats like, top of the line, ultra cream of the crop, fastest consumer/desktop CPU on the planet

look at the AMD X2 4400+, its a dual core CPU that is blazing fast, but much, much cheaper (like $450 if i remember right)

Oh, and don't call it a 2.8ghz AMD, call it by its name. I could say a 2.6ghz AMD and mean any one of like 6 procs ranging from an old, old 32bit junker to a dual core X2 4800+ in the $700 range
Kllrnohj wrote:
alex10819 wrote:

does anyone know where I can get some good deals, without skimping on my motherboard?

lol! dude, you went straight for an FX-60, didn't you? thats like, top of the line, ultra cream of the crop, fastest consumer/desktop CPU on the planet

look at the AMD X2 4400+, its a dual core CPU that is blazing fast, but much, much cheaper (like $450 if I remember right)

yeah, sounds cool...

is tigerdirect still any good? I heard they were going downhill...
never used tigerdirect

i'm a newegg fan Very Happy
well, that's good enough for me...

hmm... a new member... named 'todlangweilig' (Death Boring)... makes me wonder... that doesn't sound terribly appealing Razz
Ohhh, it was an X2...why didn't you say so? Cool
KermMartian wrote:
Ohhh, it was an X2...why didn't you say so? Cool

the 1,200 one WAS NOT an X2 - jeez kerm, are you turning n00b on us or what? i said:
Quote:
you went straight for an FX-60, didn't you?
ok when i first built my pc i had 2 hard drives...
both hooked up
make sure (i think this it) that only one has a operating system
and if that still dun work try only using one....

but other than that it may just be ur drive maybe a virus
I doubt that a drive can be "a virus"; chances are either the combination sucked up more power than your PSU could provide, or there was something wrong with the one.
@alex:

Have you tested the PSU yet? (like killer john Laughing said, jump it and see if it turns on (to do this disconnect the big cable going to the mobo and short the green and black wires together (you'll see a lot of black wires on the connector; just pick one Wink)))
it works now, they got it fixed up... just gotta get an OS on it... (i recommended Ubuntu, because i'm just such a community guy)
well, I was doining some work on my computer when I put my hand on my PSU and it felt really hot, looked down and saw that the one fan was no longer spinning, gah!! My parents looked at it, and when we were making sure the new fan was in the right direction, we were getting a signing noise. A number of the caps went bad. My dad being a guy who knows what he is doing though, fixed it up, and is running great now. btw, Kerm, this guy can put solter surfacce mount chips by hand he has done this enough
Yeah; caps frequently blow on older mobo's Wink
this was on the PSU! and they didn't blow, just were bulging a little
Confused That's new...maybe you had a cheap PSU?
well, when a fan goes out on them, then things get really really hot, and fail then,

btw, I doubt my uncle would put cheap stuff in his comp
rivereye wrote:
btw, I doubt my uncle would put cheap stuff in his comp

I bet he would Wink A PSU is often judged solely on its power spec, not necessarily its quality
maybe, but he usually looks at quality also.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours