Well...after Glade fell through, I sort of dropped the idea of a PC-based PokeModr. Now that I am learning Python, I have started to make it. Using wxPython, it will be a user-friendly program that is much easier to use than the calc-based version allowing for quicker development of PokeMods (probably because of the tedious nature of the calc-based version). It will do everything, from sprites to maps. It will even export it to data variables so that development can continue on-calc and also make finalized versions for the actual game. It will also gzip and upload the files to my site and send an email so that it can be reviewed and built into a useable game.
Awesome! Keep up the good work, and be sure to post linx and pix every once in a while. Smile
hes getting better at debugging too.
Elfprince, who started the whole python/wxpython thing? Was it you or Kllrnohj?
After a few months of nothing getting done, I got back to work on PokéGen. I've gotten a lot done since then, and some things have changed greatly (for the better).

* Project page on Sourceforge
* Will be able to edit types, type charts, status effects, times of day, tiles have more control with them.
* With all the added mod-ability, the GUI had to be restructured and the Python was getting to be messy with one super class that did too much and was too hard to expand, so I moved to C++ with classes that will be able to be reused in the final project.
* More compact ways to do things

Overall, I'm feeling a lot more confident about the project now than I have ever been and more motivated to work on it, so it actually gets some work done on it regularly. Any thoughts?
I like the way it sounds like it is going!! ^_^

I am hoping that once this is done, you will still work on the 68k version of pokemon...
awesome, I thought this project was long dead.
tifreak8x wrote:
I like the way it sounds like it is going!! ^_^

I am hoping that once this is done, you will still work on the 68k version of pokemon...

Yeah. Once this gets mostly done, I can start to move things back into being on the calculator. It's just that with how things are right now, this development is so much further along. The 68k version will get done at some point, but it may not be for another year or so.
Any reason for the move from Python to C++?
The Python code was absolutely a pain to tend to. Plus, I hadn't really followed the whole "keep things to themselves" ideal and everything was stuffed into one big XRC file and one HUGE (7k line) class. The new GUI will have a light main windows with modular panels that will be added as needed. That way more than one of something can be viewed at a time, and the panels can be modular and deal only with what they needed to deal with. With all of the new things that have been added, it would simply have been a nightmare to try and rip through the old code and update it to something nicer and more usable. With DialogBlocks, each panel is now in its own set of files and can be easily updated rather than bothering with a huge file. Put simply, I had not planned the Python one out right and it was just easier to start from scratch than try to fix the old one, and Python wasn't the most compact when compiled into a windows binary either, with all of its DLLs and the XRC file. I'd rather it be a single EXE with all the included images and stuff.
You *do* know that you could have had wxGlade generate seperate files for everything as well, right? (of course, you didn't need to use XRC either, which doesn't really have any benefit with a language like python since the point is to avoid recompiling when just tweaking the interface, but you don't need to compile python anyway - using XRC with python is more of a negative, as its more restrictive, than a benefit)

I'm not saying you should stick with the python if you don't want to, I was just curious as to the reason for the language switch - not the need to re-write the program. (and it seems the reason comes down to size of the 'compiled' program?) I remember looking through your code and wondering why the hell there were like 40 classes defined in the same file Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours