Which would you like to see in the next contest (please read below for descriptions)
Finisher
 25%  [ 5 ]
Simulator
 15%  [ 3 ]
Group Project
 15%  [ 3 ]
Video Clip Project
 5%  [ 1 ]
CSE Game (use of Tokens map editor)
 10%  [ 2 ]
Sprite Usage
 30%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 20

CSE is the slowest calc ever. Someone was graphing a rainbow, and they needed me to draw a light-blue background. I used the "horizontal" command, and it took me 10 minutes.... to do the top quarter. So that's why a simulator would be great (for me as well)
Why would you use the Horizontal command instead of just using BackgroundOn LtBlue? Also, there's no way it took 10 minutes do to that. I just made this program:

Code:
ClrDraw
startTmr->T
For(A,Xmin,Xmax,ΔX
Horizontal A,LtBlue
End
Disp checkTmr(T

And it takes about 33-35 seconds. Granted, that is much slower than the non-color calcs (84+SE took about 3-4 seconds), but not on the order of 200 times slower. Don't be so inflammatory.

Anyway, if you guys would bother to pay any attention to what tifreak (an admin of this site who knows about these sorts of things) has been saying, we already know along the lines of what we're going to do for the contest, and it's not going to be CSE specific, so if you think it's too slow to do what you want to do, you can always make it for the non-color calc.

All that said, people can of course start their own contests if they want, but don't call it a "Cemetech" contest, because it won't be.
I would quadruply agree for an educational program, preferably something STEM related. remember that interview with the TI CEO? lets make something that will fill in what he would like to see coming out of the community.
Luxen wrote:
I would quadruply agree for an educational program, preferably something STEM related. remember that interview with the TI CEO? lets make something that will fill in what he would like to see coming out of the community.
President, but yes, that is a large part of our motivation. The more we promote people using the calculators for programming educational tools, the more likely calculator programming is to be taken seriously by all parties involved, especially teachers.
Any more progress with the brainstorming, admins?

On a separate note, I do recall at some point last year, there was talk of a Lua contest after Contest #10.

From the thread Cemetech Contest #10 Results and Winners:
KermMartian wrote:
To all our contestants and winners, congratulations! Please PM me your mailing address, and we'll get your prizes to you soon. If you feel like eventually posting up photos of your prizes and/or what you plan to do with them, we certainly won't complain. We also request that all contestants upload their finished projects to the Cemetech Archives. If you didn't win, fear not, we have Cemetech Contest #11 starting early this fall! The subject will be Lua programming, and the prizes will probably include TI-Nspire calculators.

Is this idea still going to be pursued?
For Contest #13, which will be announced soon, we will be accepting BASIC/Axe/ASM entries for the monochrome and color TI-83+/TI-84+ calculators, and Lua entries for the TI-Nspire calculators. However, we haven't completely decided what the topic will be, so can I solicit suggestion from Cemetech?
Space-sim of some kind or another.
elfprince13 wrote:
Would this not be very similar to our Cemetech Contest #10, which focused on the broader topic of physics? What did you have in mind for possible programs that would fit into this category?
I am saddened by the lack of Prizm availability. Maybe conquest theme? Maybe something like a certain AoE-like game? Focused and allows many different game type. Civ-like games, RTS's, etc.
AHelper wrote:
I am saddened by the lack of Prizm availability. Maybe conquest theme? Maybe something like a certain AoE-like game? Focused and allows many different game type. Civ-like games, RTS's, etc.
I like that idea too, especially given how long I've wanted to make an AoE-like calculator game. I should mention that we want the topic to have at least some educational component to it, so can you think of any way to reconcile that with an RTS theme?
It helps you exercise foresight and planning? First thing that comes to mind
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Would this not be very similar to our Cemetech Contest #10, which focused on the broader topic of physics? What did you have in mind for possible programs that would fit into this category?

Any game intended to simulate some aspect of life in space, or space exploration/travel. Basically, space as a setting, and attention to realistic detail in at least some aspect of that setting.
Razz Require relatively historically-accurate factions for a particular era, including educational notes about the civilizations? But that's mainly describing AoE. What about a theme for games playing out a historical scenario of conquest? RTS, side-scrolling, RPG, etc. can get a nice history lesson across.
I love the idea of a conquest type game! Add some historical information; such as real historical commanders, troops, and time periods?
This would be really fun. Have some sort of rpg or conquest game hold historical information while being fun. I would love to work on something like that.
I think something interfacing with external hardware would be cool.
That would place limits/costs on those grading entries and those trying to run the entries. I don't think that would fly very well.
AHelper wrote:
That would place limits/costs on those grading entries and those trying to run the entries. I don't think that would fly very well.

Yeah, I guess I didn't think about that, good point.
KermMartian wrote:
For Contest #13, which will be announced soon, we will be accepting BASIC/Axe/ASM entries for the monochrome and color TI-83+/TI-84+ calculators, and Lua entries for the TI-Nspire calculators. However, we haven't completely decided what the topic will be, so can I solicit suggestion from Cemetech?

Does this include Hybrid Basic?

Sounds good, though I think it will be a more difficult challenge to incorporate history into a program.
I am not suggesting this be a theme for the contest, instead I merrily request that other calculators besides those that are of the brand TI-83 TI-84 and TI-Nspire be allowed. I do not know how much trouble this will cause but I believe it would not increase the burden on the judges that much assuming existing ownership of said calculator. A good example of a calculator to allow entries for is the Casio Prizm.
AHelper wrote:
That is unfortunately true. I thought of the idea of an external hardware/Arduino/sensor/networking/linking topic, and I rejected it for the same reason.
16aroth6 wrote:
Does this include Hybrid Basic?
Yes, it includes Hybrid BASIC.
Quote:
Sounds good, though I think it will be a more difficult challenge to incorporate history into a program.
I think that's a positive quality, not a negative quality!
ProgrammerNerd wrote:
I am not suggesting this be a theme for the contest, instead I merrily request that other calculators besides those that are of the brand TI-83 TI-84 and TI-Nspire be allowed. I do not know how much trouble this will cause but I believe it would not increase the burden on the judges that much assuming existing ownership of said calculator. A good example of a calculator to allow entries for is the Casio Prizm.
I'm certainly open to allowing Casio Prizm programs in the contest, but there are two potential limiting factors. The first and most important is that I believe only one of the potential judges (myself) has a Casio Prizm, and I wouldn't want to unfairly disadvantage Casio Prizm entries by only being able to judge them on my own stringent criteria. The second and much less important is that we're hoping to work with graphing calculator companies to get word about this contest spread far and wide, and while we have been building a relationship with Texas Instruments in this regard, we unfortunately have been unable to make inroads with Casio's calculator division.

At any rate, at this point I think we have two concrete possibilities, from which we could choose one or both:
1) A space-based simulation, game, or activity that accurately represents the physics and challenges of space.
2) A program or game that teaches the user/player about accurate historical events.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours