Chipmaster wrote:
I don't exactly remember, but I can tell you exactly how bad it is tomorrow. Let's just say that it has a hard time running the TankWars game I'm making in vb which runs too fast on my home computer.

you should have your game use the tickrate for timing so that it never runs 'too fast'
My school's got:

>>Main comp lab: ~20 IBMs, P4/3HGz dualcored, 1GB, 100GB, and nvidia gfx
Also about 20 P3 dells with ~512mb ram etc

>>Secondary lab: ~30 of those IBMs

>>Brooks Design Center: more IBMs, maybe 10 in all, and perhaps 5 really bad P2/P3s that have never been thrown out.

>>Misc sunds. Sparc workstations, G5s, etc.
Kerm, you go to a college though.

my school only has about 40 desktops. They are P4's and 2.8 ghz, 512mb RAM, 80 gb Drives (the dual booters also have an extra 40 gb drive) and nvidia graphics

there are a ton of laptops, somewhere near 200 I would guess, pretty much identical hardware to the desktops (don't know on drives and graphics). There are 8 Mac G5's and about 15 other macs. btw, the non-macs are all dells.
Our school recently had a comp fundraiser by IBM (who have now sold their PC department to Lenova), so the library has a bunch of dual-cored Celerons, but all of the comps in the classrooms are all PII's with the Win95 logo on them. But that's not all; the security in this school is terrible; even the n00bs and script kiddies have gotten past it Laughing Actually, what was really pathetic was that there was a hidden shared drive for 'teachers only' that had a text file with the passwords for everyone in the school that was accessible by anyone who mapped to it Laughing
Ok, yah, my school comps are gay. None of your guys'es can match up to these bad a comps. Alright I am sittin here doin a project for school right? So I do a google search for PC Programming Career Info, it comes up with a college thing, with info on the career right? It blocks the freakin page! How am I supposed to do a project when my teacher tells me to get on a certain comp and it blocks everything?? Thats messed up, at least it does'nt block Cemetech Very Happy , of course how could you block such a great site? Laughing
you can, trust me, my school does it. St Bernard is the worst thing ever to have to deal with, I have yet to find a way other than SSL to get around it.
Yes thats what we need, something to disable or get around the blockings or a short period of time of course.

This thread is going to get locked eventually Laughing .

I may talk to thomas and see if he knows anything about getting around it, maybe he can conjur up a savor that will slay the ugly monster that infests our school networks, a monster so sinister it wont let you play online games! Rolling Eyes , I am sorry that was lame.

Tom, you got any good ideas on how to code your way around it?
/me makes sure not to tell anyone that to get around internet blocks at his high school you just have get on IE, go to View->Privacy Report->Settings->Connections->Lan Settings and uncheck the Use a proxy server for your LAN

So...uh... How 'bout that weather? erm...
/me states that in my school, that is the only way on the internet, they are smater than that. I have tried.

and we wonder why this site is blocked
our school blocks the connections tab. then I discovered a handy program called regedit.exe (in your system folder), then they blocked that. Then I discovered many other things like Firefox. now there is a punishment of a 3 day suspension for anyone using Firefox.....all my favorite sites I got them to add to the white list.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Chipmaster wrote:
I don't exactly remember, but I can tell you exactly how bad it is tomorrow. Let's just say that it has a hard time running the TankWars game I'm making in vb which runs too fast on my home computer.

you should have your game use the tickrate for timing so that it never runs 'too fast'
Do you have a link where I could learn about that. Google turned up nothing.
I haev not tried it yet, but my schools blocking system usually says that some things wont be change able." on the things that are blocked form usage and the properties are'nt block Good Idea Evil or Very Mad . Time to do a little changing in the IExplorer. Laughing
Chipmaster wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
Chipmaster wrote:

Do you have a link where I could learn about that. Google turned up nothing.

see the little clock in the place where you add components (I think thats what they are called..can't remember exact vb terminology)
Haha, thats wierd, you and I both posted at the same time. Laughing
Yea, that's what I use to time the screen refreshes for the game. How can I account for cpu speed with those?

rivereye wrote:
/me states that in my school, that is the only way on the internet, they are smater than that. I have tried.

and we wonder why this site is blocked

Have you tried Google proxy Question
the major problem sits at the school's proxy is between the comps and google
The google proxy isn't an actual proxy if you read the site's description. It uses google's translate tools to translate from english to english. I think it's at least worth a try. It works on my school's computer. Also, we better change the subject. I remember from past mistakes that Kerm doesn't take kindly to this sort of talk Wink
and the only thing availible at google is just the web search
Oi, don't even get me started.

The computers:
*About 10 machines running Windows 2000
*Another 20 imacs running OS9
*Approximately 40 eMacs
*One lab with crappy G4s
*Another lab with slightly less crappy (albeit crappy overall) G4s (for photoshop and movie editing).

Specs and Performance:
*Windows 2000 machines are among the fastest in the school, which is scary considering they're probably 7 years old and running a very bad OS
*OS9 machines are complete pieces of junk, from the unusable mouses to the lack of decent software to the crappy OS.
*eMacs have 128 MB RAM. You're looking at login times of up to 10 minutes on a bad day. (As in 10 minutes just to get to the desktop.)
*Crappy G4s are usually only tolerably slow, but Internet is guaranteed to run at dial-up speed, slower, or not at all. Sad considering our school has a T1 line.
*The photoshop G4s usually run just a little slow, but storage is a big issue since the portable hard drives keep breaking.

The Network:
*Probably among the worst network setups ever seen on this earth (well, not quite, but it's up there...).
*There will be random 2 week periods for "maintenance" where you cannot log in to the network.
*There is only 1TB of storage for the entire school of 1400 kids. Given that approximately 50 of them work with huge amounts of uncompressed video, that leaves about 50MB of total free space at any given time.
*Documents are randomly deleted from your account.
*There is a sploit in the First Class email client that allows you to run any app/executable regardless of user priveleges.
*Many teachers and students do not secure their personal folders, making it possible to view tests before you take them or copy someone else's homework directly into Word (although I have never personally partaken in either of these activities).
Surprised . No comment.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours