Time to announce my new project: Super Hexagon, for the CSE! KermM said it was impossible, but I believe I can defy the impossible... All I need so far is the hexagon sprite... I will post other things later. I would like the hexagon to take up about half the screen, so if you can make one using the normal characters that would be great!
The hard part is that anything that needs to redraw the entire TI-84+CSE screen on every frame is going to be slow. Flappy Bird Color can be fast because you're scrolling the screen, and only drawing the 8 rightmost pixel columns on each frame. Tetric A can be fast because you're only erasing and redrawing the tetromino. The list goes on and on. In Super Hexagon, you are constantly zooming in and rotating, which means you are constantly erasing and re-drawing the entire screen. More power to you if you can pull it off. What's stopping you from designing your own hexagon sprite?
I have seen Super Hexagon, and I do believe it would be difficult. My recommendation would be to use ASM, and if you did it right, you could still use the same scrolling screen method thing. It would probably use polygon skewing of some sort, toward the center of the screen. I would also probably start with a cube. It wouldn't be as hard to scroll through. I am excited to see what you come up with! Best of luck.
I do not know how to use ASM on the CSE yet, but I am starting with a cube and this is the general flow of the program I have so far:
Set up screen dimensions
Add cube and rotational sprite
Set up vars: side of square, list of map, score, and other misc vars
Get key: either left 0r right arrow
Switch side of sprite on square
Fix incorrect numbers (eg too large or small ones)
Check for death
- - - - -
What I have to do:
Add lines of code that move the bars towards the square
Add a menu
Add a pause/unpause button
Add a gui on the left where players may see score/high score
- - - - -
Any suggestions/questions? Post a reply! Very Happy I might upload a beta when it has the basics then improve bugs.
Wait ar you doing that in Basic ? O_o you know it won't be fast at all right ?
I do know it will suck Razz
I have done the main code, all that's left to do is make it look better (as in more like the original game), optimize it, and upload it. Should be up soon! ;]
Asian wrote:
I do know it will suck Razz
I have done the main code, all that's left to do is make it look better (as in more like the original game), optimize it, and upload it. Should be up soon! ;]
Can we see a screenshot of what you have so far?
I uploaded the file to the beta in the archives, please tell me your honest opinions on it! [;<
I tried it out, sadly no color Sad but definitely made in a different way than I thought. Not bad. It could be better with more directions, 4 ways make it rather easy to dodge. Although the random pattern sometimes makes it impossible to hit the hole.
I might suggest using line.. and color. Maybe try xlib out, it could be a similar rendition to SH although I doubt that it could run like the game.
Actually, I was planning to do the actual coding, fix the bugs, then add color/add aesthetics to make it look better.
I might have to add a logic function after the randomiser to make sure it's possible to dodge the incoming plusses. I haven't thought about how to do it yet, but I could probably figure it out after a bit.
*Bump* I made the randomiser for the new incoming plusses better, and I made the plus formation look a bit more like the original Super Hexagon. All I need to do now is the xLIB for color.
I found this egg in the Ion games of TICalc: Cylidash. perhaps you could pull in some inspiration from this.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours