Due to the overwhelming support and feedback for the basic version of my Harry Potter game, I have decided to go with ASM instead of basic.

During the Thanksgiving Break, while I was in the car driving to and from Florida, I managed to get the scrolling tilemapping engine to work. Currently, the program size is 1236 bytes, though at least 700 of those bytes are used for map data and sprite storage.

Adding more maps will be much easier in ASM, the game will run more smoothly, and more people will like it, so switching to ASM makes sense Very Happy

See below for a screenshot of the 1337ness.

As always, comment on the graphics (note that the "street" sprite is temporary and is not the real tile. Also note that the odd shapes in the street are supposed to be cauldrons, but I don't know how to draw good cauldron sprites).

Finally, if you noticed, the sprites for Harry are not animated, nor are they very good. I would greatly appreciate any help on drawing sprites for Harry (he is supposed to be wearing robes).

EDIT: I got some type of database error when posting this; however, it posted correctly.
Looks good I'm glad you decided to do this in asm. I can't belive you have that much done already I wouldn't even know where to start. I wish I could help you with the sprites but I'm just as bad with pixle art.
I will try, but don't rely on me. What size are the sprites/what sprites do you need. What format do you want them in? How can I get them to you?
All of the sprites in the tilemap are 8x8, obviously, but the sprites for Harry should be roughly 8x12 to 8x14 (the ones that are used in the screenshot are 8x13). Also, I would like to have animated sprites for when Harry moves so that it looks better (not that "gliding" looks bad Rolling Eyes ).

I'm trying to make a cobblestone-style sprite to use for the streets right now; I'm not sure how it will turn out. A sprite for a cauldron would also be nice.

Also, I need opinion on how I should do the actual game.
Should I continue with the idea of most of the game being based on battling creatures and gaining levels, as in the demo (as in the style of the Gameboy Color Game)? Or, should I make it more in the style of a puzzle / action game (this will be harder and in the style of the computer game)? Or, should I make it a game where you are not actually Harry Potter, but go to Hogwarts and have to attempt to do well (i.e. you will get to make a lot of choices)? If I used the choices option, it would require me writing most of the game and simply basing some of the ideas on the book. I could also base it on the book, where you play as Harry, but you still have a few choices that you have to make (minor things; you wouldn't be able to change the storyline in any major way). I'm open to suggestions as always.
nice! are you planning smooth scroll?

i guess now you just need some sprites Smile

I think you should either do hardcore turn-based RPG w/ some out-of-combat uses for magic.

or you should do it kinda robot wars style like an action RPG.
Very nice job on the engine; I think it'll look that much more professional with some improved sprites.
KermMartian wrote:
Very nice job on the engine; I think it'll look that much more professional with some improved sprites.

Thanks; it's my first attempt at an actual scrolling engine and I wrote it from scratch on the way to Florida (on-calc, obviously).

I heard that some sprites for Harry might be available on Omnimaga, but I cannot seem to find a search function there...

As for smooth scrolling, I may or may not add smooth scrolling (I did not in the car to save space and compiling time); I haven't decided yet.

I managed to come up with a decent cobblestone sprite during Calculus class today.

I know that the game will have puzzles, regardless, because otherwise, it will be boring...
It would be new to have a game that you can choose everything (friends, etc)...
good job mate! i'm sure you can commission a harry somewhere
This is a copy of my post on Outside The Box Programming.

Harry Potter will be based a lot on how you choose to act in different situations, as well as having to solve puzzles and battle enemies. You will play as Harry and will be able to be sorted into any of the four houses, based on your actions in the game up to that point.

As a sample, here is the first scene that I have written. Note that the (a,b,c,d)s mean how much you gain toward the various houses (Slytherin, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, Gryfindor).

Code:
VERNON: Harry, get the mail.
(Make Dudley get it / OK)
If Make Dudley get it is chosen
     VERNON: Poke him with your Smeltings stick, Dudley (-3 hp)
     (0,1,0,1)
If OK is chosen
     (0,0,1,0)
You see a letter addressed to yourself and decide to read it after sitting down.
DUDLEY: Harry's got mail!
VERNON: Give it to me and go into the hall, NOW!
(I'll have to fight Dudley to hear what Vernon and Petunia are saying)
Battle Dudley
If run without fighting
     (0,0,2,0)
If Dudley has <=10 HP
     Dudley:  OK, you win.
          fight more -> (2,0,0,0) && Geesh, you won already
If Harry has <=10 HP
     Dudley:  I win; you stand back
          fight more->(0,-1,0,1)
          <=5 HP ->ends

If you get to listen to what they say (i.e. you beat Dudley), then you will learn more and gain extra dialog options later.

You will have two types of combat; with spells and with physical attacks. Clearly, you will not always have magic to use, so you will have to fight using other methods (there will also be enemies that resist spells / physical attacks).

Hopefully, this will give everyone an idea of how the game will be; please comment on the beginning.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours