http://desktoplinux.com/articles/AT5816278551.html

w00t w00t, Gentoo is the 4th most popular linux distro for desktop usage! (according to this very rough survey anyway, but cool nontheless)

Webbrowser is pretty cut and dry, although I was surprised Konqueror beat Opera... (FF, obvioulsy, smoked em both)

Unfortunately KDE was higher than GNOME, b000!
I hate KDE...ph43r

And how did Ubuntu get to #1?! Bunch of newbs...

And I'm surprised that those of us who've built their linux systems from scratch didn't even rank Laughing Am I really that much of a minority?
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
And I'm surprised that those of us who've built their linux systems from scratch didn't even rank 0x5 Am I really that much of a minority?

Because there is no reason to keep re-inventing the wheel. Gentoo gives me as much flexibility as LFS, without as much work, especially in keeping the system up to date

As for the ubuntu comment, do realize that Kerm (and google) is running ubuntu too Evil or Very Mad Although I do agree that it IS a bit of a n00b system Cool but that can be a good thing - everyone has to start somewhere Laughing
Yes, but they have to move forward...eventually.

Quote:
Gentoo gives me as much flexibility as LFS, without as much work, especially in keeping the system up to date

But building it from scratch gives you way more Brag FactorTM than Gentoo Razz
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
But building it from scratch gives you way more Brag FactorTM than Gentoo Razz

Gentoo provides plenty of Brag FactorTM compared to just about every other distro out there Smile
But CLFS tops them all Razz
Yeah, but Gentoo is more recognized, meaning I get more immediate Brag FactorTM points than you do, as you must then explain LFS. You may accumulate more over time, but it requires explanation. I just walk and say, sup y0z, I run gentoo (and not that genkernal crap), and BAM, Brag FactorTM points Very Happy
...Or because what I run is so obscure it's a big secret like the NSA *used* to be Laughing
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
...Or because what I run is so obscure it's a big secret like the NSA *used* to be 0x5

True, but its obscure because no body cares, not because its super secret or elite. You did, after all, follow a tutorial. I did most of the same major steps, creating the base install with which to setup the new system, configure/compile a kernel, configure the system, etc... Just with a slightly more automated and complete approach
Quote:
True, but its obscure because no body cares, not because its super secret or elite.

*low blow*

Quote:
You did, after all, follow a tutorial.

HA! You don't seem to remember then; I said fuck the tutorial because I was so messed up (nobody really keeps up with CLFS; only LFS), so I had to do mine *ENTIRELY* from scratch, no tutorials, no FAQs, no NOTHING. HA! I PWNERZ j00!!!!!!!!
You still had documentation. it wasn't like you sat down with a crapload of source code and just said "I'm going to boot to all this somehow" Very Happy
Sorry, to interrupt the Gentoo vs. LFS or CLFS (whatever C stands for. Compact? Crazy? Cool? Laughing ), but I found a cool article about converting elderly people to linux. Check it out: http://www.xyzcomputing.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=485&Itemid=0&limit=1&limitstart=0

Perhaps I could start pushing for linux in my house. Idea
Mine is a tweaked Ubuntu with no GUI; I only chose it because the machine I'm using is a bit weak for Gentool.
Hmm, I use FC4, Ubuntu 6.06 and Knoppix 5.01 for my Linux. I will soon get rid of FC4 though. I have thought on Gentoo, but I don't feel like taking the time to compile everything (my comp is only 1.2 ghz).
Quote:
You still had documentation. it wasn't like you sat down with a crapload of source code and just said "I'm going to boot to all this somehow" Very Happy

True...I did read a loooooot of man pages Laughing
KermMartian wrote:
Mine is a tweaked Ubuntu with no GUI; I only chose it because the machine I'm using is a bit weak for Gentool.

Actually, if I remember correctly, its because you were being all newbie and borked the Gentoo install Razz

@riverye: The new x86 gentoo install CD has binaries to give you a full desktop (X + Gnome usually), then you can slowly "convert" to faster, smaller, compiled versions Smile
all right, I might look into it, I just have to think on it (I still have to redo the entire system anyways).
Kllrnohj wrote:
@riverye: The new x86 gentoo install CD has binaries to give you a full desktop (X + Gnome usually), then you can slowly "convert" to faster, smaller, compiled versions Smile

I never had much success with the installer, but then again, I only tried twice
proegssilb wrote:
I never had much success with the installer, but then again, I only tried
twice

I never tried it, as the AMD64 version doesn't have it. However, they just released the new 2006.1 install CD sets, and I'm sure there were some bugfixes done, aswell as updating all the packages on the CD Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours