SFGP Announcement bot wrote:
the first step in converting our site to use AJAX has begun. From now on when you make a post in the forum, as you are typing a preview box above the posting area will update itself every second to give you a realtime preview of what your post will look like.

with my mad php/javascript skills I made my forum dynamically generate and reload a post preview without having to click any buttons, or refresh the page. Very Happy
Interesting, but wouldn't that add some major lag to your server? And wouldn't stuff like unclosed quote tags look vaguely weird? Sounds like an excellent plan once you work out the kinks. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Interesting, but wouldn't that add some major lag to your server? And wouldn't stuff like unclosed quote tags look vaguely weird? Sounds like an excellent plan once you work out the kinks. Smile

although I dont have enough traffic at this point to have any noticeable lag, I also have some ideas to deal with it. also, unclosed quote tags look likes this:

[quote]blah blah
I tried registering for your forums, but I never got sent the activation email.
elfprince13 wrote:
....also have some ideas to deal with it. also, unclosed quote tags look likes this:

Quote:
blah blah
I know that, but I would think it might be annoying to see that if you just haven't typed
yet... maybe not. Smile Oh, and is this an iframe or a div? Are you going to do something to make the textarea box stay in focus when the div is refreshed, since something like pasting a large block of text would push the textarea way down the page.
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
....also have some ideas to deal with it. also, unclosed quote tags look likes this:

Quote:
blah blah
I know that, but I would think it might be annoying to see that if you just haven't typed
yet... maybe not. Smile Oh, and is this an iframe or a div? Are you going to do something to make the textarea box stay in focus when the div is refreshed, since something like pasting a large block of text would push the textarea way down the page.

its a span. and the textarea stays focused the entire time.

Quote:
I tried registering for your forums, but I never got sent the activation email

the UTI email server tends to be slow. check your mail.
Elfprince: excellent, then I look forward to using it at some point.
...still no email yet...
screw that then, jut go log in, its active, and Ive disabled further account verification.
The constant refreshing is hurting mine eyes.
jpez wrote:
The constant refreshing is hurting mine eyes.

hmm Neutral stupid FF....its the only browser that does that. I have an idea though.

[edit]
and it worked. no more flashy
Awsome. Looks great Elfprince.
Glad you got rid of the flashy.
It still does rthe flashing in apple FF...
KermMartian wrote:

Neutral wtf. stupid browser incompatibilities. why are you even using FF on a mac?
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Neutral wtf. stupid browser incompatibilities. why are you even using FF on a mac?
I didn't mean to, but one of the ethernet switches was down so my tabby wasn't getting a network connection. On a whim I tried it out on the mac that was correctly connected.
Safari ftw.
Safari FTL, I believe is what you meant.
jpez wrote:
Safari FTL, I believe is what you meant.

orly? and why is that?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours