Apologies if this has been asked before; I looked with no luck.
I have a TI83 ROM file that includes a load of garbage (saved variables, broken programs) and doesn't include some programs I've written. For the sake of argument, let's say I've misplaced that particular calculator and so can't simply make the changes on it and extract a new ROM file. How can I use Wabbit EMU or the Cemetech emulator to make the changes I want in the calculator memory (deleting garbage, adding good programs) and then save that ROM so it opens as I want every time?

I saw some discussion of this for Wabbit EMU, but it seemed specific to Windows because the Mac version doesn't have the options listed. Any help is greatly appreciated.
If you have a MacOS version prior to Catalina, you can run the windows version in wine.
Also, that discussion is about saving the state, not making a new ROM image.
Michael0x18 wrote:
If you have a MacOS version prior to Catalina, you can run the windows version in wine.
Also, that discussion is about saving the state, not making a new ROM image.

Unfortunately, I'm running Big Sur. Thanks for the clarification on the vernacular.
I don't know about your hardware, but if you have an Intel CPU (M1 _might_ work, but I'm not sure) you can run Windows in VirtualBox. Microsoft lets you download some:https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/virtual-machines/
I'd have to check how jstified exports the ROM as a jpeg, but you should be able to load your ROM there then export the jpeg (for importing on iOS) and convert that back to a ROM.

On second thought, you can do it much more easily by just grabbing the memory contents out of a running jsTIfied. Paste this into your browser console when you have jsTIfied open:
Code:
var a = document.createElement('a');
memBlob = new Blob([flash.mem]);
a.href = URL.createObjectURL(memBlob);
a.download = "rom.rom";
a.click();

This will grab the contents of flash (the ROM) and give you a download of it that you can save wherever you like. You probably want to turn off the emulated calculator before doing this just to ensure everything is in a sensible state.

(I looked into interpreting the ROM-as-JPEG, but there's some kind of insane bytes-as-UTF8-as-UTF16 thing going on in there that I didn't want to puzzle out.)
Tari wrote:
I'd have to check how jstified exports the ROM as a jpeg, but you should be able to load your ROM there then export the jpeg (for importing on iOS) and convert that back to a ROM.

On second thought, you can do it much more easily by just grabbing the memory contents out of a running jsTIfied. Paste this into your browser console when you have jsTIfied open:
Code:
var a = document.createElement('a');
memBlob = new Blob([flash.mem]);
a.href = URL.createObjectURL(memBlob);
a.download = "rom.rom";
a.click();

This will grab the contents of flash (the ROM) and give you a download of it that you can save wherever you like. You probably want to turn off the emulated calculator before doing this just to ensure everything is in a sensible state.

(I looked into interpreting the ROM-as-JPEG, but there's some kind of insane bytes-as-UTF8-as-UTF16 thing going on in there that I didn't want to puzzle out.)

My apologies for being an idiot, but that didn't seem to work for me. It downloaded a usable ROM file, but that ROM was empty of any programs, like it was a brand new calculator.
Were the programs in RAM? A ROM will never contain the contents of RAM.
Tari wrote:
Were the programs in RAM? A ROM will never contain the contents of RAM.

Ah, yes. How do I transfer them to the ROM?
You need to archive them Smile
Lionel Debroux wrote:
You need to archive them Smile

You are gentlemen and scholars! Thank you. I don't care what they say; you're alright in my book.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours