So I've recently decided to buy a graphing calculator,
however I can't decide between the TI-84 Plus CE and the Casio fx cg 50.
I'd like to use the calculator in school, but I'd also like to download comunity-created apps and try developing something myself (I already have PC programming experience).Even though I've been browsing various calculator-related forums for the past week or more, I still can't fully decide on one or the other.

Could anyone please help me decide which one of those two should I get?

Thanks, Slingy
Take a look at the excellent Back To School topic one of the admins wrote, about choosing between calculators. https://www.cemetech.net/news.php?id=863 Hope this helps! Smile
I don't have much experience with Casio so my opinion may be bias, but I'd definitely go for the CE. It has a more experienced, and supported community with it, and it's overall a great calculator. It's also normally more supported in textbook examples, and many teacher are more familiar with TI calculators.
Of course if you get the Casio, we'll still help you learn how to program it as best we can. Very Happy
I’ve never even used a Casio before, but you should really believe me when I say that the TI 84+ CE is much better.
I would also recommend the TI-84+CE, since it works very well.
The Casio fx CG50 is definitely better in terms of specs, but both are quite similar in terms of software, albeit, with very different UIs. Both calculators can do pretty much the same operations. The fx CG50 uses AAA batteries, which makes it quite a bit thicker than the CE, which uses a rechargeable Li-Ion. Having used both before, I have to admit that the CE feels a lot more polished in terms of design. On the fx CG50, the keys feel a little janky. The most important part though, in my opinion is the UIs. The fx CG50's UI is what I would consider less than user friendly, while the CE has a much better learning curve. Also, as stated above, the community for the CE is massive, and you will have no problem getting help from the internets, while the Casio, although there is a community, is considerably less popular. Same goes for finding and downloading programs and games. That's why I would go for the CE.
Kerm made a great post about each calculator when they were released, here are the links to those:
Alright, so I'll probalby get the 84+ CE, but I'd like to now if the C SDK for it supports most of the regular C language or only a part of it, because according to others the PrizmSDK seems to be quite limited. Thanks for the suggestions btw.
Slingy wrote:
Alright, so I'll probalby get the 84+ CE, but I'd like to now if the C SDK for it supports most of the regular C language or only a part of it, because according to others the PrizmSDK seems to be quite limited. Thanks for the suggestions btw.

Yep, and there are several libraries available for very fast graphics, key input, file input/output etc. Check out https://ce-programming.github.io/ for more information. Smile
Cool, I'll order one right away Laughing
Get an 89 Titanium, that's a real calculator Cool.

Just kidding, unless you really like the 89T, go with the TI-84 Plus CE. Tons of programming languages, everybody likes it Smile
I vote for the CE as well Smile.

It has a lot of support and there is an appetite for new software creation.
Depends what country/school if any it is for. I’d say teachers are more accustomed to casio rather than ti in the UK

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours