The other day I was on a calculator website, I don't remember which, and I came across something that allowed you to use 3 pixel by 3 pixel font in basic programs. Does anyone have any idea what that would be, or where I ca get something similar? Thanks Laughing
jonbush and earthnite used 3x3 font in their TI-BASIC Flow or so, you might check that topic.
Probably a less convenient way of doing things, but you could make a font using text sprites. That's my way of doing anything with graphics Very Happy

Text Sprites are life Cool
PT_ wrote:
jonbush and earthnite used 3x3 font in their TI-BASIC Flow or so, you might check that topic.

I don't think we posted anything about how the font was actually constructed in that topic. Since there was no dynamic text in TI-FLOW (aside from the pack name at the beginning), we simply used text sprites for the 3x3 font.

I can think of a way to define a text sprite for each character, and then dynamically display those text sprites based on an input string. I believe we have designs for all 26 letters, so I will try to find them.
jonbush wrote:

we simply used text sprites for the 3x3 font.

I called it Cool
jonbush wrote:
PT_ wrote:

I don't think we posted anything about how the font was actually constructed in that topic. Since there was no dynamic text in TI-FLOW (aside from the pack name at the beginning), we simply used text sprites for the 3x3 font.

I can think of a way to define a text sprite for each character, and then dynamically display those text sprites based on an input string. I believe we have designs for all 26 letters, so I will try to find them.

Thanks! Yeah, I had seen a program on Ticalc, I think, that did the same thing.
Plotsprites also work. The way I have it set up is a little slow, but it could be improved upon easily. Should I upload the font i have been playing with? Its not 3x3 though...
Luxen wrote:
Plotsprites also work. The way I have it set up is a little slow, but it could be improved upon easily. Should I upload the font i have been playing with? Its not 3x3 though...

Plotsprites are harder to manipulate....I don't like them Wink

Upload it though! I want to see it, it sounds cool! Very Happy
Those 3x3 text sprites can be done with the most simple form of text sprites (single loop horizontal). Might I suggest my text sprite generator to allow you to draw out the pixels you want to appear. It will only be able to create chunks of 32 pixels wide, but should you want more pixels, you should be able to string them together with a bit of knowledge of how text sprites work.
If it might be useful, here's an old program I wrote with a 3x3 font and a routine to display it. As I recall, though, it's very slow:
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/325/32589.html
KermMartian wrote:
If it might be useful, here's an old program I wrote with a 3x3 font and a routine to display it. As I recall, though, it's very slow:
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/325/32589.html

Thanks Kerm, that's it!

Luxen: If you could, that would be awesome!

Very Happy
Here are all of the letters in earthnite's 3x3 pixel font. (You may need to zoom in.)

How can I use those in a program?
Switchblade wrote:
How can I use those in a program?

With text sprites of course!
You figure out which character's left pixels form one column of pixels, then display that one, then do the same for the 2nd column and display it 1 pixel to the right. Keep on going till you wrote down your message and put some spaces at the end to erase the leftover final character.
Or you can use my program to draw the sprites and have it spit out the code.
Or you can use Kerm's program to do it.
Ok, that's what he meant, yeah I get it.
You could also read this well written article on how to create text sprites (which are the best Very Happy). If you need the actual font from jonbush, you'll probably have to ask him.
Ha, ha Very Happy
I've read that site so many times. I've actually made two rpg's with text sprites. Or, at least started them. Razz Then deleted them.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours