I was thinking about making a Roman-Arabic numeral converter for the TI-84+CSE/CE. I found one at http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/202/20226.html on ticalc, but I couldn't find one in the archives. Would this be a waste of time, or a valuable addition to the Cemetech archives? I think I already have an idea of how I would do it:
    ▪Display some text about converting stuff at top of screen
    ▪Initially, Roman to Arabic or Arabic to Roman is chosen
    ▪Near the top, I would show Arabic: [stuff] and Roman: [stuff] on two different lines
    ▪Clear allows the user to choose what to convert again/quit.
    ▪I would have selections of characters for Roman to Arabic
    ▪Values would be stored into I, V, X, and so on until the one that is 500 (this will be a learning experience for me too. Smile).

Please reply with feedback! I will make a demo and screenshots.
I know it isn't good form to give code instead of help, but I wrote this two-way converter a while ago, borrowing a code snippet from Ed H. It's not very flashy, but it's functional and very small, so I suggest you use it as the core of your program.

Code:
"IVXLCDM"→Str3
Input Str1
expr("0"+Str1→N
If N
Then      ;Str1 is an Arabic numeral
" "→Str1
For(I,0,log(N
.1int(N→N
10fPart(N→A
While A
.1sum({22,42,74}(A={4,5,9→B
A-1-int(B→A
sub(Str3,2I+5fPart(B)+1,1)+Str1→Str1
End
End
Else        ;Str1 is a Roman numeral
.5seq(inString(Str3,sub(Str1,X,1)),X,1,length(Str1
sum(10^(int(Ans))(.5+fPart(Ans)-2(Ans<ΔList(cumSum(augment(Ans,{0
End
Ans
lirtosiast wrote:
I know it isn't good form to give code instead of help, but I wrote this two-way converter a while ago, borrowing a code snippet from Ed H. It's not very flashy, but it's functional and very small, so I suggest you use it as the core of your program.

Code:
"IVXLCDM"→Str3
Input Str1
expr("0"+Str1→N
If N
Then      ;Str1 is an Arabic numeral
" "→Str1
For(I,0,log(N
.1int(N→N
10fPart(N→A
While A
.1sum({22,42,74}(A={4,5,9→B
A-1-int(B→A
sub(Str3,2I+5fPart(B)+1,1)+Str1→Str1
End
End
Else        ;Str1 is a Roman numeral
.5seq(inString(Str3,sub(Str1,X,1)),X,1,length(Str1
sum(10^(int(Ans))(.5+fPart(Ans)-2(Ans<ΔList(cumSum(augment(Ans,{0
End
Ans

Couldn't one implement the part where you multiply the value by 1000 by adding a line over the top? I'm thinking a program that draws Text() commands slightly over one another so that there is a Minus sign over the letter. I'm probably going to attempt this at some point, but I doubt I'll get to it before someone else.
Since it's Halloween soon, this is kinda relevant:
https://www.cemetech.net/projects/uti/viewtopic.php?p=58792#58792
https://www.cemetech.net/projects/uti/viewtopic.php?p=138098#138098
DJ_O wrote:

Cool!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours