Hello all! So, seeing as there is an ongoing TI-BASIC Competition, I thought it might be interesting if we had our own assembly competition as well, just for fun. Would anyone be interested in such a thing? Simply post here any thoughts and ideas you may have Smile
I might participate, but I'm not terribly good at z80.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Hello all! So, seeing as there is an ongoing TI-BASIC Competition, I thought it might be interesting if we had our own assembly competition as well, just for fun. Would anyone be interested in such a thing? Simply post here any thoughts and ideas you may have Smile

Mateo feels like he needs more contests under his belt Razz
I think it would be fair to have an assembly competition, but there are considerably less people who have moved on from basic, so there wouldn't be as many participants simply because a lot of people can't...
I know we have a lot of assembly programmers who lurk and don't post a great deal (Runer, Hooloovoo, and calc84, to name but a few), so I'd say that there are plenty of people for an assembly contest. Of course I'd love to participate myself, although I fear that that's infeasible.
I'd be interested as well, provided the tasks are a little creative and not primarily about solving some math problems. Also I'd prefer this to be Z80 only, but well, if including eZ80 drags in some more people then so be it.
I too am interested. I have no ideas what we could do for a challenge though...
I'm not too sure what contest this could be that is fair to all ASM programmers, whether eZ80, Z80 monochrome, or Z80 color. But whatever it is, I'm game!
I'm with utz, if it's something fun and creative (or similar to the lightning contest a couple years back here) i'll squeeze some time in to put an entry out.
I think all games should be in grayscale, to make it fair for those coding in z80. That'd be cool, and make it a bit challenging. What do you think?
How does that make it fair for those coding in z80? That means most processing time will be dedicated to updating the screen on z80 calcs. I'd rather stick to my black and white sprites. The color calcs have other issues the B&W calcs don't have to deal with, i don't see color being an advantage one way or the other. Not to mention we've got almost 20 years' experience working with/around the z80 hardware. Try porting DigiTan/Dianzi tian's Robot War 2 over to the CE, for example. Or Spencer's Zelda. I'm sure it could be done, but i'm not sure who could do it right now. Then again, i'm not sure who else could program Robot War 2 right now other than Dianzi tian Razz
Good point. I didn't consider that. I think that everyone participating should make a completely new project, though, so that no one has an unfair advantage from choosing a good project they finished a while ago.
I assumed the contest was going to be like PT_'s BASIC contest, where you have to solve a problem with a snippet of code.
This contest is going to be postponed for a bit until all the other contests are finished, so that way there isn't too much going on at once. Trust me, I have a really neat idea that doesn't involve differences between calculators Wink For now though, it might be best to brainstorm so it is done properly. Thanks! Smile
MateoConLechuga wrote:
This contest is going to be postponed for a bit until all the other contests are finished, so that way there isn't too much going on at once. Trust me, I have a really neat idea that doesn't involve differences between calculators Wink For now though, it might be best to brainstorm so it is done properly. Thanks! Smile

The other contests have either finished or fizzled out at this point. I think it would be a good time to bring the Z80/eZ80 Assembly Competition back from hibernation.
I plan on participating if the contest is sufficiently algorithmic, but I wish I had time to learn enough assembly to actually be competitive.
I would do a competition if I was experienced enough with assembly. For now, though, I will practice on my own.
I would participate, but when I tried to learn, I was confused after the first line! xD

My first post o/ Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours