Hi
I have ∫4_-4 f(x) dx that i want to solve.
The primitive function: x²/2
4²/2 - (-4)²/2 = 0

I solved the integral in my Prizm and it returned 0 but te book says the awnser is 13.
In the work that you show, you never actually took the antiderivative before evaluating at x=4 and x=-4

Notably, the answer I got is still not 13 but textbook answer keys are often wrong.
^^
I didn't get 13, either, but it definitely is NOT 0. Look up integrals of even and odd functions.

I wonder how they got 13....

Are you sure your bounds and function are right?
elfprince13 wrote:
In the work that you show, you never actually took the antiderivative before evaluating at x=4 and x=-4

Notably, the answer I got is still not 13 but textbook answer keys are often wrong.

Ok, so if I take this for an exampel: ∫4_-4 (f(x)-3 dx
∫4_-4 (f(x) -3∫4_-4
∫4_-4 (f(x) -3[x]^4_4
∫4_-4 (f(x) - 24
Now I don't understand how to do the last part I have looked at the sulution but I don't understand it completley.
Your mismatched parentheses are killing me.

Can you articulate exactly what is giving you trouble in the last step? What f(x) are you using?
elfprince13 wrote:
Your mismatched parentheses are killing me.

Can you articulate exactly what is giving you trouble in the last step? What f(x) are you using?

Oh, sorry, saw that too, I just did a copy and paste... Smile
The last step is this:
(-1)(-3-(-4))+2(-1-(-3))+(-3)(2-(-1))+4(4-2)-24=-22
I don't understand it.

lirkaren wrote:
Hi
I have ∫4_-4 f(x) dx that i want to solve.
The primitive function: x²/2
4²/2 - (-4)²/2 = 0

I solved the integral in my Prizm and it returned 0 but te book says the awnser is 13.

If I understand your notation correctly, you have this:

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours