Well in the horizon I can see iOS coming sometime fall (sources say September). I actually already have it and want to discuss features etc with the populace if interested. Here are some screenshots from my IPod touch 5th gen.
Cemetech page

Home

And the tools access, which is really useful.

looks ugly
Been using iOS 7 since WWDC and have been a big fan compared to the older iterations. Once again Apple plays the game of "We didn't invent it, but we did it better anyway" and steals from all the major mobile OSes over the past decade. But it works really well together!
The tech looks great, the "flat" UI looks terrible (where terrible is a synonym for "like Windows 8").
Yeah it still is in beta, so hopefully they change some colorations/design around. Especially the settings.. It is pretty ugly. But for now it is really smooth and well fit together.
I doubt much will change. They changed the font thickness a bit in a few instances in Beta 2 but nothing significant yet.

The only thing I ever want out of a future iOS release is for the calendar to be more integrated. I want my calendar to set my alarms and Do Not Disturb. With iOS7 Calendar will provide you with a time to leave so you can arrive on time but you can't choose a contact/destination from your Address Book.

I've sent these requests to them so hopefully Beta 3 (if it isn't out, if so then 4) will have these incorporated. Not saying I'm the reason they would be but maybe these features just aren't fully implemented and adding them would provide too many developer feedback tickets. Which sounds silly.

The Location from Contacts in calendar isn't super important as I don't drive to new places a whole bunch but I do start work at 6a. While my schedule is consistent, every once in a while there's a day where I work that I would ordinarily have off or I start earlier.

Of course, I'll upgrade. Not expecting a whole lot to work on my iPhone 4 (e.g. moving backgrounds) but it'll be a welcomed refresh to the G/UI since 2007. Sure, there have been minor changes: the dock changed from a metal mesh to the glass table and the background changed from black to whatever we wanted, but the generic GUI has never seen a hint of change (e.g. Settings). I agree that it could be prettier, the current iOS GUI isn't the best looking either. I can live with iOS1-6, I can live with iOS7 and beyond.
Just fix those hideous Safari and Clock icons, and increase the opacity of the layovers.
@comic:
Actually beta 4 came out this morning 11 eastern. All it did was fix a few bugs. I'm not sure what beta 3 did.
It's 2013. Nobody cares about what Apple does.
elfprince13 wrote:
The tech looks great, the "flat" UI looks terrible (where terrible is a synonym for "like Windows 8").

Yeah I agree, although that flat UI could have been worse. Maybe they have retro gamers in mind (since retro gaming is more and more popular) and they plan to eventually go more and more retro in terms of design:

Also although that new iOS looks nice, it still won't convince me to pay an extra $200-500 over an Android device.
elfprince13 wrote:
UI looks terrible (where terrible is a synonym for "like Windows 8").

Except Windows 8 actually looks somewhat reasonable and is consistent. The translucency crap on iOS 7 is hideous and consistency is pretty much gone.
Kllrnohj wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
UI looks terrible (where terrible is a synonym for "like Windows 8").

Except Windows 8 actually looks somewhat reasonable and is consistent. The translucency crap on iOS 7 is hideous and consistency is pretty much gone.

I'd venture to say that Apple needs to fire its entire line of iOS Concept Artists immediately and start over, it looks horrendously awful
Super in-depth review from Ars: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/09/ios-7-thoroughly-reviewed/

Mostly looks good if you change the wallpaper to something reasonable, except the app icons still look like something I would have cooked up in GIMP in high school.
I read a weirdly written review about it.
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/09/more-is-better/http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/09/more-is-better/

It just... was written weird. For example.
Quote:
Remember: Almost any action you can perform on your phone is also being performed by hundreds of millions of other users across the globe. The fractional seconds it takes you to accomplish a routine task will be amplified into many millions of man-hours over the course of the operating system’s lifetime. So every choice Apple makes to increase efficiency plays out in productivity cycles like concentric tsunamis on our collective pond.
elfprince13 wrote:
Super in-depth review from Ars: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/09/ios-7-thoroughly-reviewed/

Mostly looks good if you change the wallpaper to something reasonable, except the app icons still look like something I would have cooked up in GIMP in high school.

TL;DR: It was beaten repeatedly with the ugly stick, slow animations are annoying, but some stuff like the camera is better. Most everything else is unchanged.
comicIDIOT wrote:
I read a weirdly written review about it.
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/09/more-is-better/http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/09/more-is-better/

It just... was written weird. For example.
Quote:
Remember: Almost any action you can perform on your phone is also being performed by hundreds of millions of other users across the globe. The fractional seconds it takes you to accomplish a routine task will be amplified into many millions of man-hours over the course of the operating system’s lifetime. So every choice Apple makes to increase efficiency plays out in productivity cycles like concentric tsunamis on our collective pond.

To be fair, what they're saying does (mostly) make sense, but I don't see why something like that would be even part of a review. It's almost like a fun fact: "DID YOU KNOW, if a million people save 1 second doing something, a total of a MILLION SECONDS were saved?" It's cool to talk about, but for a single person, 1 second isn't worth such an ugly update.
Agreed. While I'm an Apple fan, I'm not going to praise their "optimizations," especially on such a wide spread scale, besides I'm still running my original iPhone 4 from 2010 so really iOS7 is a tad slower for me.

Overall, I'm liking it. Since I'm on iPhone 4, I get the occasional hiccup such that changing home screen pages will stop mid sweep and I'll see half of each screen at once (same things happens with passcode lock, swipe and about two rows of numbers are available) but tapping the screen continues the animation in the direction I was going. I'm liking all the new tone sounds, even though I had those customized I reverted everything back to some of the included sounds just to try them out. I will go back to my preferred custom tones eventually.

The icons are meh, but the animations and stuff are neat.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours