So, I found this page which talks about how maps in the game Berzerk were generated. They look like this:

Basically, you start with an open map, with 8 pillars (O=pillar, X=wall)

Code:
XXXXXXXXX   XXXXXXXXX
X                   X
X                   X
X   O   O   O   O   X

X   O   O   O   O   X
X                   X
X                   X
XXXXXXXXX   XXXXXXXXX

Then for each pillar, we pick a random direction to extend a wall toward:

Code:
XXXXXXXXX   XXXXXXXXX
X   ^           ^   X
X   |           |   X
X   O<--O   O-->O   X
    ^       ^
    |       |
X   O   O   O   O   X
X       |       |   X
X       v       v   X
XXXXXXXXX   XXXXXXXXX

I thought this was neat and wanted to make my own program to do so, and so I did:

I made it pretty general, so you can change the dimensions of the map and the wall to get something like this:

or this:

Though the drawing part and the actual maze generation part are all separated out. You can download it from:
http://merthsoft.com/Maze.exe (code)

Maze.cs has the actual room generation code. It's as simple as one might expect: pass in a seed, use that to seed the random generator, for each pillar generate a random direction. When creating the Maze object you specify the width and the height (there's no reason this couldn't be per-room, I guess), as well as the number of possible directions. In Main.cs I do the bulk of the work for rendering the map. Direction.cs is just a simple enum for keeping me sane.

Which rooms lead where I decided to leave out of the Maze object in favor of putting it in the implementation. I guess it could make sense in either place, but that's how I decided to do it.

Play around with it if you want. The code is free to do whatever you want with it, I don't care.

Here's a big maze:
Cool! I saw that explanation of the Bezerk maps floating around, but it didn't have enough pretty pictures for my taste. Yours hit the spot.
Nice work & thanks for sharing - it reminds me of this :
There was a game for the VIC20 / C64 in the 80s called Munch Maze which was basically a PAC-MAN clone. I got it from a magazine and the interesting point is, that it was coded all in BASIC. This included the random Maze generation algorithm complete graphics rendering and game play controls all under 3.5kB. I recall it was pretty cool but it was hard to pick apart how the maze was calculated randomly each time but still remained valid - wish I had kept the code...
Great job, Merthsoft, and bonus points for the basis in a classic game. Are you planning to expand this into a game of some sort, or was the point mostly exploring the algorithm?
Munch Maze, huh? I have a TI-99/4A game called Munch Man, it is a Pac Man clone too. I wondered if it was related.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours