I'm going to test my Axe abilities by working on a shell called MacCSX. I will make it as close to the Mac OS features as possible. Probably won't get any good progress, but at least i have it started for the future.
I'd recommend probably calling it something other than MacCSX, although I appreciate the 'CS' homage. Smile What features are you planning to add calculator-wise?
A finder, password, word processor, program execution. Pretty basic stuff. Its just basically a test to myself.
ACagliano wrote:
A finder, password, word processor, program execution. Pretty basic stuff. Its just basically a test to myself.
A finder that can search through the actual on-calc programs? Executing which kinds of programs? A built-in word processor, or a separate program? What kind of password protection?
Not sure yet.

Yes. You enter the file name, it returns all instances of it.
Not sure. Probably all types.
Built in, if i can.
On the shell only, atm.
But what kind of basis for the password protection? Where will the password be stored, in other words? Define "all types": BASIC? ASM? MirageOS? Doors CS? Ion? I assume you'll make your shell program run under DCS and invoke the RunProg entrypoint, then?
Most likely. I will yet you know once i figure it out.
ACagliano wrote:
Most likely. I will yet you know once i figure it out.
Sounds good. And other than actual features, I assume you intend to mimic the interface to some extent? Do you have any mockups of your possible interface, or is this idea less thought-out than I'm assuming? If so, I'm happy to be helping you solidify your ideas with my questions.
It is not really thought out. But it will likely have an option to select between a DCS style interface and a Mirage OS style.
ACagliano wrote:
It is not really thought out. But it will likely have an option to select between a DCS style interface and a Mirage OS style.
Oh, so what's the connection to Mac OS X, then? I thought you were going to try to be emulating that, possibly in terms of a Doors CS-style interface but with the taskbar at the top.
zsh
allynfolksjr wrote:
zsh

There's that smell again!
Ranman wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
zsh

There's that smell again!
Which, the smell of trolling? Smile
Not the act of trolling... the a$$ of the troll himself.
Ah, gotcha. Oh, ACagliano, I realized that you never answered my question about password protection.
KermMartian wrote:
ACagliano wrote:
A finder that can search through the actual on-calc programs? Executing which kinds of programs? A built-in word processor, or a separate program? What kind of password protection?
The proper name for it is actually "Finder" - not 'the finder' or 'a finder.' It is a real application after all - in OS X and it does just that, helps one find things on the drive. It's the equivalent of Windows Explorer.

How close will you come to replicating Finder? As close as you, yourself, able to or do you plan to learn, toy around, and make it as close as possible?
As for password protection storage, I will either use an APPVAR, or I will extend the size of the program using the Zeros(size) command (which adds *size* zero data elements to the end of the program, then throw the password in there.
ACagliano wrote:
As for password protection storage, I will either use an APPVAR, or I will extend the size of the program using the Zeros(size) command (which adds *size* zero data elements to the end of the program, then throw the password in there.
Then I'll look forward to seeing how easily I can defeat the password protection. Wink @comicIDIOT: Thanks for clarifying that, I was peripherally aware of that, but you put it in more concrete terms.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours