This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
t99

Posted: 27 Sep 2010 02:47:16 am    Post subject:

Hi everyone!! anybody tried to compile Lua for Nspire?

Lua interpreter only need a simple C complier so I imagine it could be done remarkably easily ?

I'm not a developer myself so could someone help me? Smile Smile
apcalc

Posted: 27 Sep 2010 02:54:33 pm    Post subject:

To be honest, I never heard of Lua before this, so I can't really give an exact answer to this, but I would suspect that this would be harder than it sounds because we are still missing some important C standard library functions for the Nspire.

Right now, porting any "C" program to the Nspire is not the easiest thing to do.
t99

Posted: 27 Sep 2010 03:14:03 pm    Post subject:

Lua is a fast, light weight script language. The entire interpreter is only like 400KB. So I think it would be nice to get it running on Nspire.

http://www.lua.org/

PS: Lua runs on HP-50g which only has 512k of ram
bwang

Posted: 27 Sep 2010 11:51:13 pm    Post subject:

As apcalc said, most of the standard library is still missing on the Nspire, so there is no chance of a port at the moment.
It does look like it is written in very standard C, so it won't be too hard to port.
The question is, why would we want Lua on the Nspire? As a stand-alone language, what is it good at? It seems to me that Lua is usually used as the embedded scripting language in larger applications.
AHBAD_ALVIN

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 28 Sep 2010 12:15:53 pm    Post subject:

bwang wrote:

As apcalc said, most of the standard library is still missing on the Nspire, so there is no chance of a port at the moment.
It does look like it is written in very standard C, so it won't be too hard to port.
The question is, why would we want Lua on the Nspire? As a stand-alone language, what is it good at? It seems to me that Lua is usually used as the embedded scripting language in larger applications.

I agree. I actually know Lua VERY well (almost as good as c/c++ and c#) and I can tell you it's actually not as good syntax wise, and C is much more useful. Plus, you would have the difficult job of converting all of the libraries. So unless you want to take it on as a project, which might be very hard and not that fruitful, you will probably have to wait a while.
ExtendeD

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 28 Sep 2010 01:57:38 pm    Post subject:

bwang wrote:

Perhaps porting Lua might be easier than porting a C compiler. It would be a interesting alternative to the native TI-Nspire programming language.
And using an interpreted language for on-calc development would avoid many crashes compared to on-calc C/asm.
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 29 Sep 2010 01:00:01 am    Post subject:

ASHBAD_ALVIN wrote:

I actually know Lua VERY well (almost as good as c/c++ and c#) and I can tell you it's actually not as good syntax wise, and C is much more useful.

C is certainly more powerful (in the shoot-yourself-in-the-foot kind of way), but high-level interpreted languages have their place. I wouldn't say either is more useful. And personally I think Lua's syntax is quite nice.
bwang

Posted: 29 Sep 2010 12:18:40 pm    Post subject:

Python is a nice interpreted language, but I imagine it will be hard to port...
AHBAD_ALVIN

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 29 Sep 2010 05:05:46 pm    Post subject:

ExtendeD wrote:

bwang wrote:

Perhaps porting Lua might be easier than porting a C compiler. It would be a interesting alternative to the native TI-Nspire programming language.
And using an interpreted language for on-calc development would avoid many crashes compared to on-calc C/asm.

Yes, but interpreted languages are also a bit slow.... (consider ti-basic)
Python is a much nicer interpreted language, I agree with the guy right above me Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Oh well, I wish you best of luck anyways on your quest to get lua for the Ti-Nspire! May you find it soon and make many applications with it!

~~ASHBAD_ALVIN~~

Last edited by Guest on 29 Sep 2010 05:06:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 30 Sep 2010 09:36:10 am    Post subject:

I thought Python was just standard C. We still probably don't have half the library functions we need for it, though.
AHBAD_ALVIN

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 30 Sep 2010 01:56:43 pm    Post subject:

calc84maniac wrote:

I thought Python was just standard C. We still probably don't have half the library functions we need for it, though.

it is and it isn't -- Python has some OOP in it, so it does have some fancy bells and whistles as well.
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 30 Sep 2010 08:56:34 pm    Post subject:

ASHBAD_ALVIN wrote:

calc84maniac wrote:

it is and it isn't -- Python has some OOP in it, so it does have some fancy bells and whistles as well.

I'm talking about the interpreter, not the Python language itself. Whether Python has some object-oriented features doesn't change that the interpreter is written in C (which is what is really important for a port to TI-Nspire)
AHBAD_ALVIN

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 03 Oct 2010 03:44:02 pm    Post subject:

calc84maniac wrote:

ASHBAD_ALVIN wrote:

calc84maniac wrote:

I'm talking about the interpreter, not the Python language itself. Whether Python has some object-oriented features doesn't change that the interpreter is written in C (which is what is really important for a port to TI-Nspire)

Oh, I must have misread your last post. Sorry, I thought you meant the language was basically standard C. But yeah, it is made in standard C, I think.
xtjacob

Posted: 12 Dec 2010 11:16:07 pm    Post subject:

It would be nice to get Perl on the Nspire. Smile
ExtendeD

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 13 Dec 2010 02:21:13 pm    Post subject:

Starting with a port of as a simple scripting language from an implementation targeting embedded systems would really help to find which standard functions are needed and to make them available.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement