This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 09 Jan 2004 03:57:54 pm    Post subject:

See Sir Robin's second-to-last post. Nice link though.
CoBB

Posted: 13 Jan 2004 04:38:11 pm    Post subject:

anduril66 wrote:
No, but I would like to. I can't find it. How do you raise a number by i? (w/o usind e^i on a calculator). Reading http://staff.jccc.net/swilson/mathtopics/c...imagandtrig.htm , it seems you have to use cos (and sin).

Yes, you can. Just read what I posted a little above:

e^x = 1 + x + x^2 / 2! + x^3 / 3! + x^4 / 4! + ... (the more members the closer approximation; also if x is close to zero the approximation gets better)
e = lim(n -> inf) (1 + 1/n)^n

See? When calculating e^i, i appears only in the base of powers with integer exponents, which makes it quite easy to determine. Of course this is a purely mathematical approach, not a practical one, since you'd need to evaluate many terms to get a good approximation.
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 20 Nov 2005 10:58:00 am    Post subject:

This needs to be moved into the "Math and Science" forum. Can someone be so kind? :)

thornahawk
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Nov 2005 03:10:03 pm    Post subject:

Done. Now everyone will find out about the topic in which I double-posted. And I've tried so hard to cover it up...
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 21 Nov 2005 11:22:46 am    Post subject:

Thank you, DarkerLine. Smile Don't worry, I don't think anyone would begrudge you the multiple post. ;)

Now, since I have done the dirty job of resurrecting the thread, I'd think of trying to add something substantial to this wonderful discussion (belated as it may be).

For starters, the comment re: power series is close, but no cigar. The problem with power series is that the tend to be very accurate only at the center of expansion (i.e. the origin), at the expense of inaccuracy at points so far away.

We first recall symmetries: sine and tangent are odd: sin(x) = -sin(-x), whilst cosine is even: cos(-x) = cos(x). These reflection formulae reduce the problem to evaluating at positive arguments.

We then remember that the trig functions are periodic: sin(x + 2π) = sin(x), and similarly for the cosine and tangent, except that the period is π rather than 2π for tan(). Hence, by subtracting appropriate multiples of the period, the problem reduces to evaluating over a preset range.

Here's the meat: TI apparently uses the so-called CORDIC algorithm, whose discussion I can do no better than point the curious to http://www.cnmat.berkeley.edu/~norbert/cordic/node4.html . If questions still remain, I will be happy to answer them. :)

thornahawk

P.S. Other machines use the so-called "economized Chebyshev approximation", which is effectively replacing the terms of the corresponding power series with appropriate combinations of the Chebyshev polynomials. Google on them for more info.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement