This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
Xeda112358

Posted: 11 May 2010 08:32:41 am    Post subject:

Here are my problems:
-I have a laptop with 64-bit Windows 7
-I am an assembly programmer
-I have TASM and it doesn't work
-I have no internet access outside of school

Because TASM doesn't work for me, I have learned to program directly in hex. I plan the program on my laptop (that makes life much easier) and then I type in the code by hand. I was wondering if there was a way to type up the hex on my computer and then convert it to a program (I use TI-Coder right now). It would also be nice if I could find a way to get TASM to work because I want to learn how to use the mneumonics.

Thanks for any help ☺

Plus, I want to learn how to program my computer. Windows is okay, but....

Last edited by Guest on 11 May 2010 08:33:52 am; edited 1 time in total
calcdude84se

Posted: 11 May 2010 04:54:32 pm    Post subject:

Have you ever tried other compilers? TASM isn't one of the best. There's SPASM, Brass, and a good number of others (can't think of them).
As for hex to .8Xp format ASM program, I'm not sure where one exists if it does. Maybe someone else knows if there is one...
DrDnar

Posted: 11 May 2010 05:22:17 pm    Post subject:

TASM is an old 16-bit assembler. The 64-bit versions of Windows do not support 16-bit programs anymore because the CPU's 64-bit does not support 16-bit code. If you need to use a 16-bit program, DOSBox should be able to run it just fine. If you want convert a collection of hex codes into an 8xp, you can use a hex editor like XVI to make a .bin file, and then use devpac8x to convert it into an 8xp.

For normal assembly development, you should try using SPASM, BRASS, or even ZDS. SPASM works much like TASM, but doesn't need devpac8x to produce an 8xp file. I would recommend keeping a copy of Learn Assembly in 28 Days handy, and somehow finding a way to download the contents of WikiTI. I would also recommend getting a copy of Wabbitemu, a TI-83+/84+ emulator, (or any other emulator) and using ROM8X to get the required ROM.
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 11 May 2010 08:01:48 pm    Post subject:

There is a 32-Bit version of TASM, that being said id use another assembler like BRASS or SPASM.

Or better yet download Latenite which is an IDE that comes with BRASS:

http://www.benryves.com/products/latenite
Xeda112358

Posted: 12 May 2010 08:37:23 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the help so far, I am looking into the stuff right now. Now here is another thing:
I want to make an application for the calculator because I tend to make libraries and I am running out of fixed RAM locations. I do not want to use AppBackUpScreen or SaveSScreen, so I am using the first 64 bytes of RAM and the RAM at StatVars. It would be much easier to create an APP, but the thing I have (from back when I used BasicBuilder) will not create an APP. I will try to figure out the error message, but I know it works on 32-bit computers. Here is the program I have (sorry if the neumonics do not have correct syntaxes).
DrDnar

Posted: 12 May 2010 11:38:42 pm    Post subject:

If the purpose of that is to avoid having to change address, you'll save yourself a lot of trouble by using an assembler, which will automatically calculate all addresses. It'll even tell you when your jrs are jumping too far. (Although SPASM will leave jrs to distant/non-existent locations as jr $+0, making an infinite loop; and jps to such places as jp 0000h, resetting the unit.)

Oh, another way to turn a series of hex codes into an 8xp is to make an assembly program that just has

Code:
  .db 12h, 34h, 56h
  .db 78h, 9Ah 0BCh; et cetera
.end
.end
in it and then assemble and link the program normally.
Xeda112358

Posted: 13 May 2010 08:31:58 am    Post subject:

Dr. D wrote:

If the purpose of that is to avoid having to change address, you'll save yourself a lot of trouble by using an assembler, which will automatically calculate all addresses. It'll even tell you when your jrs are jumping too far. (Although SPASM will leave jrs to distant/non-existent locations as jr $+0, making an infinite loop; and jps to such places as jp 0000h, resetting the unit.)

Oh, another way to turn a series of hex codes into an 8xp is to make an assembly program that just has
Code:
  .db 12h, 34h, 56h
  .db 78h, 9Ah 0BCh; et cetera
.end
.end
in it and then assemble and link the program normally.

The point of that program is to install the calls into non user RAM that way other assembly programs can call them. The program itself only installs the calls and then it is up to the user to make programs that use those calls. For example, after loading the data to their fixed positions in memory, any program will be able to use them (until the RAM is cleared or you use the stat variables). If it was in APP form, you could simply put this at the beginning of your program and there would be no worries about memory or installing the calls:

in a,(6)
push af
.db appobj,‘NCall’,0
B_Call FindApp
out (6),a
<<Code goes here>>
pop af
out (6),a

The error I was talking about before said something about not being able to find the key file. I have no idea why, though, because the key file is in that same directory.

Seriously though, thanks for all the help. Oh, by the way, The only programming I do is on the TI-84+ and TI-89. Since the TI-84 is the school's, I will only be able to program on the 89 Titanium (which I cannot find the documentation to do assembly programming directly in hex).
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement