This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Hibby

Posted: 26 Feb 2010 12:54:07 pm    Post subject:

How's it going guys - I'm new here, just sticking my nose in and around.
I was going to drop this at the end of the Hacking the TI Nspire post, but I figured it wasn't related enough to be there, so I made this instead!

I've been wondering, lately, what the state of the TI Nspire hacking world is, and it seems to be coming along nicely here.

I'm pretty keen to put my nspire to more use than just a number cruncher... Has anyone had any process in adapting the usb or the bottom dock type connector for custom probes and accessories. In an ideal situation, I'd have this connected to one of my micro controllers or something similar, and use it as a voltage / current probe or as a midpoint for strain gauges and thermometers (I'm an Elec Eng and Mech eng dbl honors student...) but I sure as hell can't afford the official TI solution, and I reckon there are others in my situation!

Essentially, I'm interested in making custom accessories and writing some sort of app to act as a data logger and analyser for different situations... Do we reckon this is do-able?

I've read in the posts and at hackspire about rs232 ~ is this readily accessible through usb or similar?

Rgds

Hibby
ExtendeD

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 26 Feb 2010 03:33:52 pm    Post subject:

RS232 works well, and can be accessed through an RS232-to-USB adapter if you want.
I hope that low-level USB and NavNet protocol extensions will soon be available, if not already (Goplat have already done much work with nspire_emu)
Hibby

Posted: 26 Feb 2010 03:42:40 pm    Post subject:

Aye - I spotted that on Hackspire and Yaronet.

Is the calculator willing to accept data through RS232? Sadly I have a version of the CAS that came preloaded with os 1.7, so a hacked OS isn't going to be an option for me. I have managed to crash it a fair bit recently, though, so that's a good sign...
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 26 Feb 2010 04:34:13 pm    Post subject:

Hibby wrote:
Aye - I spotted that on Hackspire and Yaronet.

Is the calculator willing to accept data through RS232? Sadly I have a version of the CAS that came preloaded with os 1.7, so a hacked OS isn't going to be an option for me. I have managed to crash it a fair bit recently, though, so that's a good sign...

Are you having trouble with downgrading the OS?
Hibby

Posted: 26 Feb 2010 07:20:52 pm    Post subject:

To be honest man, I've not yet got to that stage. I need to build the serial circuit yet! Is it much bother doing an OS downgrade? What I've read tells me I can't? The next stage I've got to hit is extracting data from a spreadsheet to excel... I tried to open a 1.7 formed tns and couldn't decompress it. Is that the case for older OS's too? Again, reading suggests it isn't.
bwang

Posted: 26 Feb 2010 07:49:20 pm    Post subject:

You don't need a serial cable. You can downgrade using TI's software or the maintenance menu (contrary to some sources, downgrading is possible without any hacks--just send the older OS).
Hibby

Posted: 26 Feb 2010 08:29:15 pm    Post subject:

I need the serial cable for my project anyway! Sweet. I'm assuming that I can read data from serial with an older OS?
ExtendeD

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 27 Feb 2010 02:52:54 am    Post subject:

Hibby wrote:
I tried to open a 1.7 formed tns and couldn't decompress it. Is that the case for older OS's too? Again, reading suggests it isn't.

No, documents are in plain zipped XML.

bwang wrote:
You can downgrade using TI's software or the maintenance menu

The OS can be downgraded even without this menu from Computer Link.

Hibby wrote:
I'm assuming that I can read data from serial with an older OS?

Yes, although I am not sure anyone has tested.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement