This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Techrocket9

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 14 Jan 2010 10:54:44 am    Post subject:

[font="Arial Black"]Edit: This thread is now not about modifications, but rather tiny programs that can run in the background and add functionality, like Gecko OS on the Wii. Anyway, here are the add-in programs I would like:

1. Map the ► symbol (convert symbol) to ctrl+θ, as that combo is currently unused.

2. 3-D graphing, obviously.

3. Exact values from Graphs and Geometry measurement menu for CAS (Not sure if possible, but it sure would be nice)

4. An operation to generate an exact value from a repeating, rational decimal (It can't be that hard)

5. More as I think of them...

Last edited by Guest on 14 Jan 2010 05:47:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
ExtendeD

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 14 Jan 2010 01:17:03 pm    Post subject:

A key combo for OS reboot (faster) and full reboot.
My keypad (or the TI-Nspire itself?) has been so badly hurt because of battery removal I can now hardly use it without making the calculator reboot by itself because of faulty keypad connection.
ZagorNBK

Posted: 14 Jan 2010 02:09:47 pm    Post subject:

►Make CAS possible on the non-CAS version
►Better 84+ emulation, so that all asm programs work (possibly also add it to the CAS version)
→Make it possible to run programs from the NSpire 25MB memory instead of all cramming into the 84+ ROM
→Add USB support
►Gameboy emulator Razz
→Be able to choose the rom you want to launch

Last edited by Guest on 14 Jan 2010 02:10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Techrocket9

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 14 Jan 2010 02:29:20 pm    Post subject:

ExtendeD wrote:
A key combo for OS reboot (faster) and full reboot.
My keypad (or the TI-Nspire itself?) has been so badly hurt because of battery removal I can now hardly use it without making the calculator reboot by itself because of faulty keypad connection.

I have this exact same problem. Let me know if you find a solution.

Edit: Also, just to clarify the purpose of this thread, this is for apps that run in the background to add functionality to the calculator, not stand-alone apps. Standalone apps are fine, but someone should make an app thread for that.

Last edited by Guest on 14 Jan 2010 05:53:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Jan 2010 02:48:49 pm    Post subject:

A better Ti-Basic programming language if it can be done via hacking
DrDnar

Posted: 14 Jan 2010 03:43:16 pm    Post subject:

ZagorNBK wrote:
►Better 84+ emulation, so that all asm programs work (possibly also add it to the CAS version)
I'm sure that 84+ emulation on the CAS is just a matter of software, but we are quite sure that we don't know enough about the platform to claim "perfect" emulation, though we could have compatibility with nearly all existing software.

ZagorNBK wrote:
→Make it possible to run programs from the NSpire 25MB memory instead of all cramming into the 84+ ROM
How do you propose to do that? Real 84+es can't have more than 2 MB of flash, and can't have more than 2 MB of RAM without revamping the paging system. (And the OS has never supported accessing user data in anything other than the first 32 K of RAM.) If you were to perform such a radical change to the emulated hardware, you'd have to rewrite large portions of the emulated OS as well.

ZagorNBK wrote:
→Add USB support
We don't understand USB enough on either platform to reliability implement this, and my sources inform me that TI revealing this information would bring about the Apocalypse.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Jan 2010 03:44:59 pm    Post subject:

This kind of discussion needs to stop right here and now. We're not going to discuss modifying the OS; I guarantee you that it WILL get this forum in trouble and/or taken down.

This exact thread is on the Detached Solutions forum and is 50+ pages if I remember correctly; every argument you can imagine has already been made. It's illegal to modify TI's copyrighted OS and there is no legal, moral, or ethical justification for it.

I would hate to see TI intervene in this thread like they did on that one (no I don't have the link to the thread, search for it).

If you really want to learn more about why this kind of talk is bad, I suggest reading that entire thread first.
Galandros

Posted: 14 Jan 2010 03:55:59 pm    Post subject:

The route to take is, obviously, run all the additions we want through the exploit and stick to it.

And who knows later, we can find some way to install 3rd party OS with some kind of tricks found on the old TI-83 Plus (pulling batteries and Free83p)
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Jan 2010 07:32:42 pm    Post subject:

One can muse verbally about what changes to make to an OS (and let's stick to just doing that).

Remember the Vera project.
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 14 Jan 2010 08:01:49 pm    Post subject:

Weregoose wrote:
One can muse verbally about what changes to make to an OS (and let's stick to just doing that).

Remember the Vera project.

I think you mean "what things to put in our own OS"
Techrocket9

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 14 Jan 2010 08:03:26 pm    Post subject:

brandonw wrote:
This kind of discussion needs to stop right here and now. We're not going to discuss modifying the OS; I guarantee you that it WILL get this forum in trouble and/or taken down.

This exact thread is on the Detached Solutions forum and is 50+ pages if I remember correctly; every argument you can imagine has already been made. It's illegal to modify TI's copyrighted OS and there is no legal, moral, or ethical justification for it.

I would hate to see TI intervene in this thread like they did on that one (no I don't have the link to the thread, search for it).

If you really want to learn more about why this kind of talk is bad, I suggest reading that entire thread first.

I don't claim to know what TI does, but I do know that you can modify Apple IPSW firmware files with pwnage tool to jailbreak iPhones and iPod touches, and Apple seems rather powerless to do anything. I'm pretty sure that, at worst (as long as you don't distribute), you are breaking some kind of EULA if you modify copyrighted code. Apple is trying to change that, I believe, but as it stands, it is legal and unstoppable to modify copyrighted firmware as long as no copyrighted code is distributed.

brandonw wrote:
there is no . . . moral, or ethical justification . . .

I don't see any moral or ethical problem with modifying something that is freely handed out. To me, it's kind of like making paper cutouts of a newspaper. Your "modifying" copyrighted material Laughing .

Ok, that was a joke, but you get my point. I see no moral or ethical issue with the modification, and there is no legal basis for a problem that I am aware of. If I am wrong, by all means correct me.

Last edited by Guest on 14 Jan 2010 08:04:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
netham45

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 14 Jan 2010 09:13:37 pm    Post subject:

I believe(not 100%, so don't quote me on this) that it's something like the device itself. Once you've purchased a license to the code, you can do whatever you want to it, like how once you've purchased your nspire, you can do whatever you want to it. It'd just be illegal to distribute an OS that you've modified, but not illegal to distribute the patch that patches said modified OS.
Techrocket9

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 14 Jan 2010 09:56:28 pm    Post subject:

netham45 wrote:
I believe(not 100%, so don't quote me on this) that it's something like the device itself. Once you've purchased a license to the code, you can do whatever you want to it, like how once you've purchased your nspire, you can do whatever you want to it. It'd just be illegal to distribute an OS that you've modified, but not illegal to distribute the patch that patches said modified OS.

Exactly!
netham45

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 14 Jan 2010 10:20:14 pm    Post subject:

At worst, it could void your EULA, but the worst they'd be able to actually enforce is a voided warranty.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Jan 2010 11:24:28 pm    Post subject:

I have spoken to a lawyer about exactly this issue (remember the EFF fiasco), and I am telling you, we need to be extremely careful with this kind of talk. Believe me or don't, that's all I'm going to say.
Techrocket9

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 03:52:40 pm    Post subject:

Just as an FYI, you can read the full text of the DMCA (the law in question) here: http://www.copyright.gov/legislation/dmca.pdf
mr. sir

Posted: 22 Jan 2010 12:30:35 pm    Post subject:

brandonw wrote:

I found it. Here it is! for those lazy enough to not want to find it themselves.
Techrocket9

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 22 Jan 2010 05:40:31 pm    Post subject:

mr. sir wrote:
brandonw wrote:

I found it. Here it is! for those lazy enough to not want to find it themselves.

I think the issue here was violating the EULA, which is of debatable legality (courts have ruled both ways). The most recent case was when a man resold his CAD program in violation of the EULA. The court ruled in his favor. Copyright is only a problem if you distribute copyrighted code. That is why the iHacking dev team goes to outrageous lengths do distribute tools that let you modify copyrighted firmware, rather than simply making one modified version and giving it out. That would be a clear violation of copyright. Modifying? Not so much. It can violate the EULA, though.

So we really have no good answer other than: "The courts rule both ways, the dev team has been doing it for years and nothing has happened, and the last precedent was in our favor." I think that if UnitedIT refused to fold under an empty threat, TI would have no recourse.
bwang

Posted: 22 Jan 2010 06:16:46 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if TI has sent any DMCA notices yet. The Nspire thread on yAronet seems awfully quiet lately.
Techrocket9

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 22 Jan 2010 07:50:42 pm    Post subject:

bwang wrote:
I wonder if TI has sent any DMCA notices yet. The Nspire thread on yAronet seems awfully quiet lately.

I'm pretty sure the DMCA has nothing to do with it. The only issue is/are contract law and EULAs. Any reference to the DMCA without copyrighted code distribution is an empty threat.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement