This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Kinen

Posted: 12 Jan 2010 09:08:07 pm    Post subject:

I've been trying for the last few days to get my computer to talk to my Ti-89 Titanium over Ti Connect. It was rather fruitless at first, as I just kept getting frustrated and wasn't really thinking about things... *ahem* But last night I finally realized that the source of the modern man's genius is Google, so to Google did I go. I learned that Win 7 wasn't talking to my calculator because the drivers lack a digital signature, which is a default requirement in Win 7. I learned how to force Windows to accept an unsigned driver and merrily proceeded to go through the F8 loop and connect my calculator.

Well, it still didn't work.

As it was quite late in the night, I was very tired and made a noobie mistake (which, while I'm irritated, I'm not ashamed of as I AM a noobie). I went to tell Windows to uninstall the drivers a few minutes before going through the F8 loop. Normally, the dialog box says something to the effect of "you are about to remove the drivers for this device from your computer." There is also a checkbox that says something like "Uninstall driver software?" I hadn't seen that before, so I clicked it thinking that that little checkbox might have something to do with my problem. No doubt you see where this is going already.

Uninstalling the driver software apparently means: Remove the driver software and files from the device itself so it can't tell the computer how to talk to it.

Thanks for the clarity, Microsoft Neutral .

So now I have a driverless ti-89 titanium. I'm hoping that an OS reinstall will put the drivers back on the calculator, but I don't know that it will. I hope it does... But I'm also hoping that my thus-far fruitless search for a place to download the drivers from the internet will end here and someone will be able to supply me with a copy (since Ti won't)? I can live with a driverless calculator if my computer at least has the drivers.
I've started talking to TI, also, but I get the feeling they'll tell me, "Sorry, you need a new calculator and since YOU f*cked it up, we won't send you a free replacement."

inb4: I tried resetting several times.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Jan 2010 09:10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZagorNBK

Posted: 13 Jan 2010 02:07:10 pm    Post subject:

Reinstall TI-Connect.
And if you're using a 64 bit version of Windows, install the patch as well.
Kinen

Posted: 13 Jan 2010 05:51:10 pm    Post subject:

Hmm... I wouldn't have thought to reinstall TI Connect. I deleted the calculator drivers from the calculator itself, so I didn't think Connect would have anything to do with it Razz . Anyway, TI got back to me today and they just had me install the patch to x64. That fixed it ^.^ .

Thanks for the suggestion, Zagor!
ZagorNBK

Posted: 14 Jan 2010 02:12:08 pm    Post subject:

You can't delete the drivers from the calc itself as the drivers are stored exclusively on the PC.

Last edited by Guest on 14 Jan 2010 02:13:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kinen

Posted: 14 Jan 2010 04:29:00 pm    Post subject:

Hmm... I'd always thought that plug and play hardware had the drivers stored on itself to transfer to any computer it's connected to. I suppose the calculator isn't quite plug and play since it needs TI Connect to be useful, but my device manager called it as such.
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Jan 2010 04:40:07 pm    Post subject:

plug 'n play hardware is just hardware compatiable whit generic drivers included in modern OS's, like usb sticks of wifi cards
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement