This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
poopslayer78

Posted: 26 Dec 2009 12:43:51 pm    Post subject:

I am writting a game in ASM and to make it do animations at the same speed for all models, I need a way of identifying the model type. will try to do this by reading data from the system routine at $000B,which i think is unique to the model. I already have the data for a TI84+ and a TI83+ but i still need data for a TI83+ SE. So could somebody with an 83+SE please tell me what they have at $000B through $000E. Thanks
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 26 Dec 2009 01:38:33 pm    Post subject:

Incorrect. That's dependent on the OS, unrelated to the hardware version. Whatever it is you're trying to do, trying to guess the OS version based on the values you find at some arbitrary location is a bad idea.

To determine the hardware version, you can either use the system routine GetHWVer, or check ports 2 and/or 21.

(And to determine the OS version, you need to use GetBaseVer.)

In any case, I'm not sure what you mean about trying to make animations the same speed. First of all, why bother? Second, the only things likely to vary substantially are the CPU speed and the speed of the system drawing routines, neither of which should be used for timing. For most purposes, the normal interrupt timer should be fine (i.e., HALT a few times between drawing frames.) The interrupt timer should be exactly the same speed on all 83+ SE, 84+, and 84+ SE calculators (and probably the Nspire as well.) On the 83+ BE, it's supposedly a little bit faster (I haven't measured it myself) and may vary with battery level.
poopslayer78

Posted: 26 Dec 2009 04:21:31 pm    Post subject:

Got it, thanks a million
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Dec 2009 11:54:00 am    Post subject:

Further info: look up port 2 and port 21 on WikiTI (wikiti.brandonw.net). They can help you distinguish between all four 83+ 'flavours' (83+(SE)/84+(SE))
Galandros

Posted: 28 Dec 2009 12:38:59 pm    Post subject:

What about the TI-73, TI-82 and TI-83 (not plus)?
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Dec 2009 02:04:47 pm    Post subject:

You probably won't ever need to, since the TI-82 and TI-83 have completely different system routines, RAM areas, and so forth (not to mention different program file formats), so most TI-83+ assembly programs can't run on those models anyway.

But:
- On an old-style TI-82, port 0 bit 7 will always be set under normal circumstances. I think this bit is also always set on new-style 82s (but I'm not 100% sure about this.) This bit will never be set on any TI-83, TI-83+, or TI-84+.
- On any TI-83, port 0 bit 4 can be toggled (it controls the mapping of ROM pages.) Indeed, most of the time when an assembly program is running, that bit will be set. That bit will not normally be set on any TI-82, TI-83+, or TI-84+.

To distinguish an 83+ BE from a 73 (hardware), use port 2 bit 1.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement