This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Dec 2009 02:50:13 am    Post subject:

I've started a project on Omnimaga, it's a comilation of the history of the TI community as a whole. This will be put on wikipedia. What I am looking for is people who have been in the community for a while and remember the history. If you have been in the community for a while and would like to help please let me know.
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Dec 2009 05:32:49 am    Post subject:

I'd ask Kevin, and I'd go digging into the older posts at DS.

(I think Goose, DarkerLine and Kerm have been in the community for quite some time too)

Last edited by Guest on 13 Dec 2009 05:33:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Dec 2009 11:38:48 am    Post subject:

Yeah I've posted on a few forums already.
DS?
ztrumpet

Posted: 13 Dec 2009 03:55:33 pm    Post subject:

Detached Solutions: http://www.detachedsolutions.com/main/
Lionel Debroux

Posted: 14 Dec 2009 03:41:36 pm    Post subject:

I suggest looking at the news archives of ticalc Smile
http://www.squalenet.net/fr/ti/articles/10_ans_ti92.php5 (significant parts written in French) summarizes some of the TI-68k events that occurred between 1998 and 2005.

One can't make a serious history of the TI calculator communities without mentioning (maybe even explaining) the conflicts and oppositions that shake, make and destroy motivation and places where people gather... but reporting conflicts and their consequences in WP:NPOV style is outright impossible, by nature.
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Dec 2009 06:08:49 pm    Post subject:

thanks!
WP:NPOV?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Dec 2009 08:29:26 pm    Post subject:

I like the direction Omnimaga's going in with this. If they told me in 1997 things would get this far in calculator programming and still be active by 2010, I wouldn't have believed it. Maybe a detail here and there on key conflicts (the DCMAs are a must-have. Maybe Hays Gaming for grins). Just no drama.
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Dec 2009 09:49:04 pm    Post subject:

Or at most say that issues arose due to personal reasons...
And yes, the key conflicts are a must. Thanks for the compliment btw Smile I really hope we can get this done Very Happy
Lionel Debroux

Posted: 15 Dec 2009 01:46:28 am    Post subject:

WP:NPOV <-> Neutral Point Of View on WikiPedia Wink
On Wikipedia, one is supposed to write articles with a neutral POV. However, reporting about conflicts in a neutral way is, by nature, extremely hard, even if you haven't been involved yourself in the major conflicts. It takes an awful lot of time to find the relevant persons, listen to what they have to say about the events, and make up one's mind (which isn't even likely to be neutral !).
If articles are not written in the WP:NPOV way, a moderator will eventually cripple the article and/or an involved party will eventually sabotage the article to support his views (well, the latter may happen even if the article is written in a reasonable way... see the inappropriate sabotage of the Microsoft article by the same IP that is the main editor of the TIGCC article, i.e. Kevin Kofler, the most hated person in the TI-68k community: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...;oldid=63166346 ).

To summarize my opinion about making a history of the communities: I'm all for it (let me stress that again: I wouldn't want to discourage you !), but be aware that this is a large, difficult task... and that WP might not be an inappropriate place for a meaningful history of the TI calculator communities that remains meaningful and fair in the long term.

Last edited by Guest on 15 Dec 2009 01:48:54 am; edited 1 time in total
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 Dec 2009 10:17:44 pm    Post subject:

Lionel Debroux wrote:
...Kevin Kofler, the most hated person in the TI-68k community...
Hey, hey, don't be mean. We don't have to be mean.

Anyway, I agree that Wikipedia is probably not the best place for this.

If you're looking for sources, well, ticalc.org is an obvious one (look at the old newsletters as well as the regular news articles... and I'd say you should have a look at the mailing list archives, but those are temporarily closed for life. Sad You could try the Wayback Machine.)
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 Dec 2009 10:59:46 pm    Post subject:

Well of course I'll use ticalc!
Also we are probably going to put it on wiki TI as well...
Currently i am looking for someone who is good at writing/comiling info and also has enough time on their hands to make a rough copy of the article, due to the fact that I don't have enough time to actually do more the a little writing, and help organize this.
Bhaliar

Posted: 15 Dec 2009 11:50:56 pm    Post subject:

I can do an hour or two every night, but late. Just let me know.
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 Dec 2009 11:53:48 pm    Post subject:

K, sweet! Do you have an omnimaga account? It might be easier to use a central location for all of this.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Dec 2009 12:39:01 am    Post subject:

Heh heh. "Tonight on the history channel... Join us as we count down the most-memorable moments in TI history. Take part on an epic adventure with the men and women behind each daring moment..." Smile
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Dec 2009 10:15:10 am    Post subject:

Lol Razz
well that's actually kind of a good idea, we could give a basic rundown of what what we have finished everyday.
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 16 Dec 2009 07:18:54 pm    Post subject:

I'd advocate sticking it on one of the TI wikis, so it can be easily edited by everyone. After all, no one, two, or even three people will be able to remember everything.

I'm really curious to see the French side of things. I know that TI programming is thriving over there, but I really don't know anything (other than Chrono Fantasy).
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Dec 2009 08:11:47 pm    Post subject:

Well using wiki TI is for sure going to happen, and I would like to put it on wikipedia after, because who knows we may get a few people into the community with it...
Yeah, I would like to find out what's happened on the French side as well.
Bhaliar

Posted: 16 Dec 2009 11:30:00 pm    Post subject:

I don't have a Omnimaga account. If its free, I can sign up. Also, I may not know much about the history, but I am good at writing things that are interesting to read and not just plain old boring.
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Dec 2009 01:24:56 am    Post subject:

Yeah it's free Razz here is the link to it
I'll post a list of sites that have history in them on omnimaga so you can have a basic idea of where to start looking. Also I'll ask DJ Omnimaga (our "expert" on the French ti community ( he knows a little)) to post a basic rundown of some of the sites history...as well as Omnimaga's, due to the fact that he knows it all Razz
GuillaumeH

Posted: 17 Dec 2009 08:20:32 am    Post subject:

I suggest you contribute to http://wikiti.brandonw.net/index.php?title...I_Z80_community
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement