This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
bonbon

Posted: 17 Nov 2009 11:44:43 am    Post subject:

Hi there.

So I've had a TI-84 Plus for quite a while now (my dad had it for maybe 6 months, and has let me use it over the past two years...). It has run perfectly without problems, except for the fact that lately it has been clearing its RAM randomly. It doesn't do it very often, but over the past 6 months it has probably cleared its own RAM about 5 times. And I wouldn't mind this at all if it wasn't for the fact that I always have a lot of my programs that I wrote myself on my calculator. I never know when it will clear the RAM, so I can't archive my stuff in preparation for a wipe. Likewise, I don't have a cable to connect my calculator to my computer, so I can't back it up there...
This gets quite infuriating. =[ Any ideas? Any suggestions? I'd prefer to not have to recode all of my programs another 10 times...

Thanks!

-Bonbon
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Nov 2009 02:55:54 pm    Post subject:

It's probably some malfunctioning application/assembly program. It's unlikely that the OS crashes itself while using the calculator like a "normal" student. What apps do you currently have on your calculator and which programs do you use regularly?
thepenguin77

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 17 Nov 2009 03:31:51 pm    Post subject:

Also, since RAM clears are just a part of having programs on your calc (mine clears at least every other day), maybe you should try the opposite. Leave all of your programs in archive and just unarchive them when you want to use them.

For added security you could also group them.
calcdude84se

Posted: 17 Nov 2009 05:27:03 pm    Post subject:

[s]Maybe you should check the batteries.[/s]
No, it would have given you a warning...

I would agree that you should check the programs (non-BASIC) that you are using.
ztrumpet

Posted: 17 Nov 2009 07:32:39 pm    Post subject:

Yup, check those and use groups.
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Nov 2009 10:08:52 pm    Post subject:

It might be a battery issue - I've seen odd things happen from time to time (particularly with rechargeables.) If it seems to randomly clear the RAM when you turn it on, that's something to consider. Try fresh batteries, and make sure the contacts are clean.

Otherwise, yeah, probably an assembly program gone bad.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 Nov 2009 01:30:48 am    Post subject:

Resetting RAM as soon as you try to turn it on is a sure sign that the RAM checksum has been corrupted, which the OS refreshes upon pulling a battery (in certain situations, like _getKey or any menu/context in the OS) or by turning off. A misbehaving assembly program or just funky batteries can change the checksum to something else.
DrDnar

Posted: 18 Nov 2009 02:48:46 pm    Post subject:

You might be able to recover some of your lost programs with my undeleter. It can undelete any program that has been archived at least once since the last garbage collect. And the undeleter can be run from MirageOS, which can run programs from the archive, so you'll never have to undelete the undeleter.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement