This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
ah-blabla

Posted: 15 Nov 2009 12:52:11 pm    Post subject:

All,

I am currently working on a calculator chat program for 68K calcs, written in C. It allows you to connect two calculators and... chat. (With the standard short link cable it's a bit useless, but once I have time I'll make a longer connection cable.) Main development is for the Voyage 200, but it should work without problems on TI 92s, and once the UI code is done, it could be modified for the smaller screen of the TI 89.

The "hardest" part, data exchange, i.e. the actual chatting part is done, and I only need to code the UI now. (The UI code is separate from the chat part, making it easy to change it, i.e. making it easy to port to a TI 89). Before I start coding the UI, I'd like to get some feedback: here is a first concept screen I made, including a (rather ridiculous) faked conversation:

I have deliberately made it look a little like the home screen to make it seem more familiar.
(Note, the actual chat so far looks nothing like this:it only shows the input text, and the last message sent...)

What do you think? Any obvious things to change? Please suggest any changes openly...

Last edited by Guest on 16 Nov 2009 01:10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
ah-blabla

Posted: 19 Nov 2009 03:35:26 pm    Post subject:

I can see everyone is so excited by this project... Rolling Eyes (Not surprising really, it's not a particularly useful program. It's main use was for me to learn some C and also about the calculator itself. It also resulted in the submission of a patch to TiEmu which may or may not appear as part of the official TiEmu release, which is more useful.)

Anyways, there is a beta version available, for anyone who wants. The whole info + download is here. (The program is under GNU GPL, so you can get the sources as well, in case your interested in the linking part.)

Have fun... Happy Chatting.

Last edited by Guest on 19 Nov 2009 03:35:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
ztrumpet

Posted: 19 Nov 2009 03:47:45 pm    Post subject:

Cool!
If only I had a calc it worked on...
ah-blabla

Posted: 20 Nov 2009 07:12:42 am    Post subject:

Well,
I was doing some more testing today... and the program seems to have problems when connecting two real calculators. TiEmu worked quite well, but the real world seems a bit different. I might try learning some ASM to write a compatible program for the TI 83/84, but I've got quite a few other things going on, so that probably won't arise soon.
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Nov 2009 05:18:32 am    Post subject:

It's been done a million times before (at least on the z80 calcs), but it's still a very good exercise on linking/protocol stuff.

*thinks he should do it himself once*

Last edited by Guest on 22 Nov 2009 05:19:11 am; edited 1 time in total
ah-blabla

Posted: 22 Nov 2009 07:20:08 am    Post subject:

Mapar007 wrote:
It's been done a million times before (at least on the z80 calcs), but it's still a very good exercise on linking/protocol stuff.

*thinks he should do it himself once*

Only one for the 68K's though, and I don't like the interface too much. It's proving an even better exercise now that it's not connecting with a real calculator. I'll need to wait until school again (to borrow a calc) to test again whether my latest changes have helped, otherwise I might copy the method used in some other programs. (The problem is the initialization of the communication...)

Last edited by Guest on 22 Nov 2009 07:32:43 am; edited 1 time in total
cjgone
Aw3s0m3

Posted: 22 Nov 2009 02:27:27 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like fun, to bad I only have an 84 though. :\
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement