This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
darkdan

Posted: 12 Nov 2009 07:20:43 pm    Post subject:

WinXP 32 bit
Ti-89 (from about 1999)
Silver cable

So I was trying to update my OS to the newer version and something went horribly wrong.

Now if I use the TIConnect OS loader I get the error "Cannot transfer. The connected TI device does not support this data type 8C0200F

I managed to update the TI-84 though. Now my Ti-89 asks me to hit I to install. Then it just says waiting to receive. If I do send it then it will get between 4% and 40% done before giving me that error message. The 2nd, arrow keys, on button trick doesn't do anything. If I open up DeviceInformation it will find my 89, but after hitting select it says it cannot get information from this device.
Lionel Debroux

Posted: 13 Nov 2009 02:20:03 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, TI-Connect sometimes blurts out such stupid messages as a sudden "The connected TI device does not support this data type" in the middle of a transfer, where it probably means "Transmission error".
Don't panic, as long as you can press i to install, your calculator isn't bricked ;)

Try uninstalling TI-Connect and using TILP II v1.11 ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/tilp/ ) instead.
darkdan

Posted: 13 Nov 2009 02:54:14 pm    Post subject:

I put 1.13 onto another computer and couldn't figure out how to load an OS. I also think the USB cable installed it's own drivers and maybe that's why it's not working on this computer (yes, I have GFM and GTK now).

I hear the silver cable has it's problems, so I did purchase a black cable off ebay and hopefully that will be here someday next week.

I'll try 1.11, but where's the step by step instructions for this thing?
Lordelo

Posted: 13 Nov 2009 07:58:39 pm    Post subject:

The SilverLink really has given me some trouble, how much did you spend on that black cable? Do I really need GFM to make TiLP2 work?
Lionel Debroux

Posted: 14 Nov 2009 07:48:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I put 1.13 onto another computer and couldn't figure out how to load an OS.

Drag and drop from the right pane to the left pane, preferably on the line that reads "Operating System".
Before doing that, you need to configure the device TILP is connected to, by right-clicking on the top line of the left pane, and selecting "Change Device".

Quote:
I also think the USB cable installed it's own drivers and maybe that's why it's not working on this computer (yes, I have GFM and GTK now).

TI-Connect uses the TI-Connect drivers, TILP uses the TILP drivers, and those conflict with each other.

Quote:
I hear the silver cable has it's problems, so I did purchase a black cable off ebay and hopefully that will be here someday next week.

I haven't used one since years ago, after mine broke, but the 9-pin serial Black Link works on most desktop computers (old or new) and old laptops.

Quote:
I'll try 1.11, but where's the step by step instructions for this thing?

I'd be tempted to reply "use the ready-made installer"... which makes me think that perhaps I haven't understood what you mean ?

Quote:
how much did you spend on that black cable?

You can find Black Link items for less than $10 + cost of transport.

Quote:
Do I really need GFM to make TiLP2 work?

No, you don't _need_ it.
Lordelo

Posted: 14 Nov 2009 08:31:06 am    Post subject:

Lionel Debroux wrote:
TI-Connect uses the TI-Connect drivers, TILP uses the TILP drivers, and those conflict with each other.

wait, you don't mean one must actually delete SilverLink.sys or whatever so that libusb0.sys will work, do you?

Last edited by Guest on 14 Nov 2009 08:31:40 am; edited 1 time in total
darkdan

Posted: 14 Nov 2009 09:20:01 am    Post subject:

Awesome! It's working. Thank you so much for your help.

1.) Uninstall TiLP
2.) Uninstalled the USB Silverlink driver
3.) Installed TiLP
4.) Installed the usb driver

Took about 3 tries (transmission errors), but it finally loaded the OS.

Lordelo, the USB driver installation instructions can be found in usb_driver.html located in the TiLP's help folder. That's how I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver.
Lionel Debroux

Posted: 14 Nov 2009 11:48:36 am    Post subject:

Good to see your problem is solved Smile
Sometimes, like here and various other topics on multiple boards, TILP works better than TI-Connect does. Sometimes, as evidenced by the "TiLP won't work" topic in this section, TI-Connect works better than TILP does.
This is why one of the first suggestions, when someone reports a problem with either TILP or TI-Connect, is to try using the other program Very Happy
darkdan

Posted: 14 Nov 2009 03:55:38 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for your help.

Soon I'll have two cables, one for each computer, and I'll have TIConnect on one and TiLP on the other. I'll be ready for anything.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement