This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
calcdude84se

Posted: 11 Nov 2009 05:36:50 pm    Post subject:

Due to the success of the factoring of the OS signing keys, there will be more 3rd party OS's. I created this thread so that anyone who wants to start working on an OS can find all the info they need in one spot (If info already exists in the forum, just link to it)

I'll start it off by saying that TI-83+ OS Tools contains tools useful for creating *.8Xu files.
Galandros

Posted: 11 Nov 2009 06:13:22 pm    Post subject:

Good idea.

One way to do other OS is learn from other OSes. Here is a list of them.
http://wikiti.brandonw.net/index.php?title...OS_Alternatives

I don't know much documentation on OS...
calcdude84se

Posted: 11 Nov 2009 06:57:31 pm    Post subject:

Probably the most important issue is the calculator hardware: keys, lcd, link port, usb port (84+(SE)), reading/writing flash, behavior of interrupts, etc.
Actually linking is a pain if you must write the code yourself.
Link to writing flash: XOS
Galandros

Posted: 15 Nov 2009 12:52:07 pm    Post subject:

Hardware info and CPU docs (especially interrupts) would be good.
Also some nice routines.
You find all of this here:
http://wikiti.brandonw.net/index.php?title...r_Documentation
benryves

Posted: 15 Nov 2009 03:14:03 pm    Post subject:

Galandros wrote:
Hardware info and CPU docs (especially interrupts) would be good.
Z80 User Manual.
calcdude84se

Posted: 15 Nov 2009 05:15:01 pm    Post subject:

The main problem is that there is no "Create your own OS" tutorial. There are tutorials for ASM, BASIC, etc., but none for an OS.
I want to write my own, but I have to ask a question first: Besides Page 0, which is always in memory addresses $0000 - $3FFF, what other ROM pages do I use? Am I forced to use specific ones?
Galandros

Posted: 15 Nov 2009 05:53:17 pm    Post subject:

Thanks ben. I was looking for that.

calcdude84se wrote:
The main problem is that there is no "Create your own OS" tutorial. There are tutorials for ASM, BASIC, etc., but none for an OS.
I want to write my own, but I have to ask a question first: Besides Page 0, which is always in memory addresses $0000 - $3FFF, what other ROM pages do I use? Am I forced to use specific ones?

See the Memory bank ports in WikiTI.
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 Nov 2009 06:32:46 pm    Post subject:

When you're finished with the Z80 user's manual, The Undocumented Z80 Documented contains pretty much everything else you need to know. (Bearing in mind, of course, that most undocumented features won't work correctly on the Nspire.)
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 03:04:32 am    Post subject:

calcdude84se wrote:
Besides Page 0, which is always in memory addresses $0000 - $3FFF, what other ROM pages do I use? Am I forced to use specific ones?

If you want to write to protected ports (so lock/unlock flash among other things) you need to use page 1C (3C or 7C on 84+ and SE respectively). Other than that you can use at least pages 01 02 03 and 1D (3D, 7D resp).
Theoretically the OS transfer protocol does not restrict the range of pages on which to flash the OS but the calc may actually perform some checks...
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 11:05:59 am    Post subject:

Furthermore, the user flash space shouldn't be affected by an OS transfer/update. Keeps apps and stuff. The OS reserved space is the whole flash disk minus user archive and boot code.

Well, yeah, theoretically you could use everything, but...
calcdude84se

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 04:54:51 pm    Post subject:

fullmetalcoder wrote:
Theoretically the OS transfer protocol does not restrict the range of pages on which to flash the OS but the calc may actually perform some checks...

And nobody wants to try...

Thanks for the info.
We have all the tools we need (see first post) and all the documentation (WikiTI, z80 documentation, etc.). Now we just need that tutorial...
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 08:42:40 pm    Post subject:

Well, writing an OS that's actually useful will take a lot of work

If you're unsure about how to initialize the hardware, where the magic bytes go, and that sort of thing, look at the existing examples (PongOS, CEPTIC, CSX, etc.)

If you're wondering how to actually assemble the thing... it's the same process that you would use to assemble a multi-page app, except that the first page starts at address 0000h instead of 4000h. Thus, you probably want to use an assembler that natively supports multi-page programs, such as tpasm, ZDS/zmasm, or brass.

You also need to define an OS header, which you can either write by hand (it's not hard) or include it in your code, like so:

Code:
  org $1A4000
  db $80,$0F, 0,0,0,0 ; start of OS header
  db $80,$11, SIGNING_KEY; Key used to sign this OS
  db $80,$21, MAJOR_VERSION; Major version number
  db $80,$31, MINOR_VERSION; Minor version number
  db $80,$81, NUMBER_OF_PAGES; Number of OS pages
  db $80,$A1, HARDWARE_COMPATIBILITY; Max. hardware version supported (0 = 83+ BE, 1 = 83+ SE, 2 = 84+ BE, 3 = 84+ SE)
  db $80,$7F, 0,0,0,0 ; end of OS header

If you have any specific questions, fire away Smile
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 17 Nov 2009 02:21:30 am    Post subject:

FloppusMaximus wrote:
If you're wondering how to actually assemble the thing... it's the same process that you would use to assemble a multi-page app, except that the first page starts at address 0000h instead of 4000h. Thus, you probably want to use an assembler that natively supports multi-page programs, such as tpasm, ZDS/zmasm, or brass.

Though any assembler will do if you merge the various pages using multihex.

FloppusMaximus wrote:
You also need to define an OS header, which you can either write by hand (it's not hard) or include it in your code, like so:

Errr... no you don't... packxxu and rabbitsign can take care of that.

Taking a look at XOS build script might be of some help to newcomers to kernel space : http://code.google.com/p/8xpos/source/brow.../trunk/build.sh
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Nov 2009 10:20:41 pm    Post subject:

You're right, of course, packxxu does that just fine. I wasn't thinking.

With regard to assemblers - there are plenty of options, but some are definitely better than others. Try a few and see what works best for you.
Taricorp

Posted: 18 Nov 2009 10:07:54 am    Post subject:

calcdude84se wrote:
Link to writing flash: XOS

If you really want to mess with Flash, I highly recommend reading through the Flash chip datasheet. Combine that with a little reference to existing code (the flash stuff in PongOS is very well documented), and you should be able to figure out which actions in the CPU correspond to various commands to that chip.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 Nov 2009 03:12:10 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps I'm missing something, but what benefit is there to using the Flash chip commands yourself? The boot code is never going away and already implements this for you.
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 Nov 2009 05:00:58 pm    Post subject:

Speed? I haven't tried it myself, but I expect you could dramatically improve programming speed with better-optimized code.

You could also arrange to do other things, such as reading from the link port or decompressing a compressed data stream, while waiting for the Flash chip to complete a program or erase operation. While waiting for an erase to finish, you could halt the CPU to reduce power consumption (as well as reducing the likelihood of a brownout if battery power is low.)
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 18 Nov 2009 05:08:37 pm    Post subject:

It would also free you from being forced to reimplement the bcall mecanism (not a big deal admittedly but...).

Besides, using the boot code means you have no control over which ram areas are used, which can be slightly embarassing...
calcdude84se

Posted: 18 Nov 2009 08:51:53 pm    Post subject:

Unless you're really lazy, you would probably want to implement flash editing yourself. (Even I'm not that lazy.) Again, it's faster, customizable, you're in complete control, and you don't have to trust TI's code quality :biggrin:.

Last edited by Guest on 18 Nov 2009 08:52:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrDnar

Posted: 19 Nov 2009 12:42:32 am    Post subject:

I don't think speed is really an issue with the flash chip. The flash chip is so slow that the speed of the code doesn't really make a difference---a write operation can take up to two thousand clock cycles. (Although, apparently fifty clock cycles is "typical.") You might be able to get away with using a much shorter fixed delay, but then you might not. I think you could get much better garbage collection performance by using the extra RAM pages for buffering rather than trying to make writing go faster.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement