This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
fougere

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 10 Nov 2009 05:00:55 pm    Post subject:

There is some overlap with the choices, sorry; and my examples may not be the best. Please feel free to bash me if I've gotten something wrong.

I realize that your answers to this poll will be strongly swayed by your religious beliefs / lack thereof. In the discussion, though, please express your views on which of these ideas you think are most successful, even if you don't support them. (eg. Hitler, Stalin, and Mao Tse-Tung WERE SUCCESSFUL (for a while, at least) even though (almost) everbody despises them.)

Last edited by Guest on 11 Nov 2009 08:52:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 10 Nov 2009 05:25:54 pm    Post subject:

FougereRapide wrote:
and my examples may not be the best.

Damn right! You cannot seriously consider the US as a proper example of state/church separation when politicians are expected to be theist (sorry if the vocab isn't quite right). Also, AFAIK there are many occasions where people are required to swear on the Bible as part of executive, legislative or judiciary processes. Admittedly this is not a *direct* interference of *church* but I'd argue that the effects are even more pernicious...

FougereRapide wrote:
most successful

How do you measure successfulness? (Based on your examples of successfulness I guess I'm likely to disagree with your definition but that's another matter).
fougere

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 11 Nov 2009 04:50:30 pm    Post subject:

that's why I put 'though this is debatable' next to the US example because that's what it's 'supposed' to be, although I fully agree with you that it's not.

As for successfulness, obviously a country/empire/dynasty/etc can't be successful for forever. There has to be a failure sometime. So, I guess you could judge them by how long they were in power, among other things. The Mongol Empire (which was arguably the largest empire) was extremely short lived. The Roman Empire, for a while at least, maintain a general 'peace' (Pax Romana). Counting the Byzantine Empire as an extension of the Roman Empire, it lasted for a heck of a long time. So, things to consider for successfulness: size of its territory of influence, length of time in power, happiness of the people, etc. I am not going to give an order of importance to these, nor am I giving a definition of successful, just guidelines. Interpret it how you want.

EDIT: I also realize that most of the people on this forum will vote for #1, oh well.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Nov 2009 04:52:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 11 Nov 2009 05:16:15 pm    Post subject:

FougereRapide wrote:
So, I guess you could judge them by how long they were in power, among other things.
[...]
I am not going to give an order of importance to these, nor am I giving a definition of successful, just guidelines. Interpret it how you want.

Slightly contradictory but anyway my understanding is that you want to consider the successfulness of a society and correlate it to the relationships between state and church. Am I missing something?

Anyway my opinion is that they should be independent by design because they deal with different domains and history provides us with a load of examples of the undesirable (sorry, cannot find a more appropriate word in english...) effects of one (or both) going "out of scope".
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Nov 2009 09:03:34 pm    Post subject:

I may be biased from living in the United States. But is there anywhere in the world, regardless of how well church and state are separated, where the former is performing any useful function whatsoever?
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 12 Nov 2009 06:02:49 am    Post subject:

I may be biased from not living in the United States. But is there anywhere in the world, regardless of how well church and state are separated, where the later is performing any useful function whatsoever?

:P
Lordelo

Posted: 12 Nov 2009 06:25:23 am    Post subject:

Looking at the votes so far made me laugh.
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Nov 2009 06:58:00 am    Post subject:

The original concept of separation of church and state came from when Henry 8 wanted to divorce his first wife, and couldn't being of the catholic church. So he broke off from the church, and started his own Anglican church. So since the state was now ruling the church, people who came to the US did not want the state to be involved in the church matters. This does not mean that the church ideas are not supposed to permeate through the state, but really, just the opposite.

Sep. Of C&S was not designed to protect the state from the church, but to protect the church from the state.

Did you know that Sep. of C&S is not even in the Constitution?
polarBody

Posted: 12 Nov 2009 11:51:52 am    Post subject:

Graphmastur wrote:

On the contrary, the 1st amendment of the Constitution spells out pretty clearly that the government is to have no control over any religion, or over anyone's free exercise of religion. If that's not separation of church and state, then I don't know what is.
ah-blabla

Posted: 12 Nov 2009 04:22:19 pm    Post subject:

polarBody wrote:
Graphmastur wrote:

On the contrary, the 1st amendment of the Constitution spells out pretty clearly that the government is to have no control over any religion, or over anyone's free exercise of religion. If that's not separation of church and state, then I don't know what is.

That doesn't rule out religion taking over state. I.e. all the clergy *might* be voted in to govern, and and then that means the church has control of the state. But I'm nit picking and pedanticising here.
polarBody

Posted: 12 Nov 2009 06:08:02 pm    Post subject:

[quote name='ah-blabla' post='138459' date='Nov 12 2009, 03:22 PM']
polarBody wrote:
Graphmastur wrote:

That doesn't rule out religion taking over state. I.e. all the clergy *might* be voted in to govern, and and then that means the church has control of the state. But I'm nit picking and pedanticising here.
[/quote]
Even if members of the clergy are voted into office, they're still bound by the constitution and, as such, they are not allowed to influence religion with policy. It would be unconstitutional for them to do so. Of course, the hypothetical clergy in office could overthrow the current government, invalidating the constitution, but now we're no longer talking about the US government as we know it.

Although, it is true that policies made by clergy members would be influenced by their religion. But then in any country where the free practice of religion is allowed, inevitably you will have politicians whose policies are influenced by their religion. The only true way to separate religion from the government is to ban religion, in which case the separation of church and state becomes meaningless. Of course, banning religion in today's society is a ridiculous idea, since there are so many practitioners, so I think it's simply unfeasible to prevent religious influence in the government.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Nov 2009 06:24:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 12 Nov 2009 06:51:01 pm    Post subject:

polarBody wrote:
polarBody wrote:
Graphmastur wrote:

Even if members of the clergy are voted into office, they're still bound by the constitution and, as such, they are not allowed to influence religion with policy. It would be unconstitutional for them to do so. Of course, the hypothetical clergy in office could overthrow the current government, invalidating the constitution, but now we're no longer talking about the US government as we know it.

Although, it is true that policies made by clergy members would be influenced by their religion. But then in any country where the free practice of religion is allowed, inevitably you will have politicians whose policies are influenced by their religion. The only true way to separate religion from the government is to ban religion, in which case the separation of church and state becomes meaningless. Of course, banning religion in today's society is a ridiculous idea, since there are so many practitioners, so I think it's simply unfeasible to prevent religious influence in the government.
[/quote]
Here's the problem though - when people think of "separation of church and state," they think that means religion (or religious ideas) should have no influence in the government. They say that our policies shouldn't be influenced by our religion - which is just ridiculous, like you said.
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 13 Nov 2009 02:29:14 am    Post subject:

calc84maniac wrote:
polarBody wrote:
polarBody wrote:
Graphmastur wrote:

Here's the problem though - when people think of "separation of church and state," they think that means religion (or religious ideas) should have no influence in the government.
[/quote]
And that's a common misunderstanding : church is not religion, it is the institutionalisation of religion and that makes a hell of a difference (it is technically possible to practise a religion without agreeing with the church related to it...). In "separation of church and state", "church" does mean "church" and not "religion" so the whole issue of politicians being influenced by their religion is *irrelevant* just like that of politicians being influenced by vegetarianism or fondness in a particular music would be.

Last edited by Guest on 13 Nov 2009 02:29:37 am; edited 1 time in total
ah-blabla

Posted: 13 Nov 2009 02:36:01 am    Post subject:

fullmetalcoder wrote:
calc84maniac wrote:

Here's the problem though - when people think of "separation of church and state," they think that means religion (or religious ideas) should have no influence in the government.

And that's a common misunderstanding : church is not religion, it is the institutionalisation of religion and that makes a hell of a difference (it is technically possible to practise a religion without agreeing with the church related to it...). In "separation of church and state", "church" does mean "church" and not "religion" so the whole issue of politicians being influenced by their religion is *irrelevant* just like that of politicians being influenced by vegetarianism or fondness in a particular music would be.

And I would definitely prefer politicians to be motivated by religion, rather than by greed which one *could* say many seem to be motivated by

Last edited by Guest on 13 Nov 2009 02:36:51 am; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Nov 2009 03:50:51 am    Post subject:

It's not an either/or. Politicians can be motivated by greed, or they can be motivated by religion and greed. In the former case, at least they will only do terrible things if it helps them out personally, which tends to limit the damage they can do.
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 13 Nov 2009 11:41:01 am    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
It's not an either/or. Politicians can be motivated by greed, or they can be motivated by religion and greed. In the former case, at least they will only do terrible things if it helps them out personally, which tends to limit the damage they can do.

Almost, but not quite, true.
A slightly more accurate view is to make a distinction between "egoistic dickhead" and "altruist dickhead" (sorry that's just a rough translation that may or may not convey my point...). The difference between these two is that the later is convinced (or pretends to be, doesn't really make a difference) to be acting for the "greater good" and end up doing a lot more damage than the former could ever do. Under this classification most of the famous dictators of the past (Staline, Hitler, Mao to name but a few) were "altruist" whereas your average politician, no matter how much you dislike it, would be "egoistic".

Again, the (pretended) source of that "altruism" is *irrelevant* for anything else than history : it is merely a context.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement