This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 29 Nov 2009 08:59:47 pm    Post subject:

Because of how the sprites are drawn, it makes it easier and slightly faster to erase them with the text. It also makes changing between character sprites easier. It might also flicker more if I had the sprite stay on screen. So I will probably leave it as it is.
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 07 Dec 2009 08:30:18 pm    Post subject:

OK! I have decided to add something to make my port stand out from other Pokemon ports by adding...
A female playable character!
The sprites are not 100% ripped from any game, instead my friend modified existing sprites to create them.
This specific character, as Pokemon Special manga fans may recognize, is similiar to Green.
Check out the current intro sequence.

[attachment=2959:Pokemon_...th_Green.gif]
(I had to attach the .gif, because Photobucket didn't like the number of frames I had....)

Sprite for Green by Jim Vera.
I may be changing the greyscale method in order to decrease flickering.
For comparison, here is the sprite and a picture of the character form the Pokemon Special manga.
I would appreciate feedback and name suggestions for Green.
Note: Green is the default color name, so green or any shade of it should not be the name.
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Dec 2009 11:03:37 pm    Post subject:

Looking good!
I like the sprite!
Hmm, I was wondering if you could just clear only the text area, would that make it work better?
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 08 Dec 2009 05:15:29 pm    Post subject:

Once I have the new greyscale method working, I'll try that since you and ztrumpet have asked about it Eeems.
I think it would work, it might be slightly more memory intensive, but I think I have an idea how.
ztrumpet

Posted: 08 Dec 2009 06:17:26 pm    Post subject:

Cool! I hope the new method works.
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 01 Jan 2010 02:11:50 am    Post subject:

Happy New Year!

I have gotten the new sprite method setup and have already converted the Prof. Oak sprite, so the rest and possibly a screenie will soon follow! Very Happy
Downside: Higher greyscale quality requires an extra frame, so pic data can't be set up the way I had it set up before.
I'll figure something out.

Does anyone have any additional name suggestions for Green? I am looking for 2 more names at the moment.

Here is a screenie of the new method in action:
(It's still flickery in Wabbit, but looks great on hardware)
Galandros

Posted: 01 Jan 2010 09:10:50 am    Post subject:

Pokemon in grayscale and TI-BASIC. That is a new level.

Attempts on ASM are hard, so TI-BASIC is much harder because you have to keep things in maximum speed all the time. It is possible even with some speed downside but with great optimization it can absolutely be playable.

Good luck and good work so far. Did I say that the design work is excellent? Well it the best I have seen in GS so far. You continue to amaze me with pixel art.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Jan 2010 09:12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
ztrumpet

Posted: 01 Jan 2010 12:10:41 pm    Post subject:

Wow, that looks great! Happy New Year! Good luck with this!

How do you change the pics back and forth so fast with out flicker? Can I see the code you use? It looks great!
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 01 Jan 2010 01:56:53 pm    Post subject:

The greyscale method I'm using is an XOR method that I got using nitacku's multi-level greyscale renderer.

The code is fairly simple and I got it from the readme.

Code:
real(0
real(7,0
det(0,"ZBD
{0,0,18,94
prgmZBD
det(0,"ZBD
real(1,32,2,4,42,11,0,0,2,0,0
Repeat Ans
real(1,32,2,4,42,12,0,0,3,0,1
real(1,32,2,4,42,13,0,0,3,0,1
real(1,32,2,4,42,14,0,0,3,0,1
real(8
End

prgmZBD is the dynamic border system I'm currently using.
Essentially it clears the screen, draws the border and draws the black and white layer, but the sprite doesn't update the LCD.
The loop then XOR's the next three frames over the b+w layer until a key is pressed.

I'm now having a problem with displaying the sprite while I display the text. It works until I display the text which leaves the sprite b+w for a noticeable amount of time, making it look bad. Still trying to figure it out.
ztrumpet

Posted: 01 Jan 2010 02:29:26 pm    Post subject:

Ah, so that's how. It looks great!
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 01 Jan 2010 09:20:00 pm    Post subject:

I've been playing with the code and have found a way to display the sprite and update the text with a only a little flicker.
Unfortunately, the method involves encoding the text as hex and displaying it as a hex sprite. This makes for very large text storage, but hopefully I should be able work around that.

I cannot seem to find another way to do this without a bad flicker, but if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.
Both Text( and Celtic III's identity(10 create a much worse flicker.

I'll probably stick with this for now and focus on getting more of the intro reprogrammed.
ZagorNBK

Posted: 03 Jan 2010 02:17:02 pm    Post subject:

There is another way you can remove the flicker: instead of using the Text( function, store your text as a sprite. You can also use this opportunity to make a customized font, instead of TI's default one.
ztrumpet

Posted: 03 Jan 2010 04:24:40 pm    Post subject:

That's a very smart way to do it. I like the custom font idea...

Last edited by Guest on 03 Jan 2010 04:25:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 03 Jan 2010 08:19:33 pm    Post subject:

Actually that's what I'm doing. I'm encoding the text as a hex sprite to use with Celtic III's identity(5 command. I have given custom characters/font some thought and decided a custom font would be kind of hard to do with 6x4 as the size, but I will most likely try to replicate some of the special characters like . What I can do with the current font size is limited, but I think changing the size would make it more difficult to work with in the long run.
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Jan 2010 09:17:56 pm    Post subject:

Couldn't you just use Celtic III's display text command?
ztrumpet

Posted: 03 Jan 2010 10:00:02 pm    Post subject:

That's a good idea. However, it may be too slow also.
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Jan 2010 11:10:08 am    Post subject:

It's actually a little faster I think, and it dislays cleaner then text()
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 04 Jan 2010 03:18:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Both Text( and Celtic III's identity(10 create a much worse flicker.

I've already tried Celtic III's text routine, and while it displays cleaner than Text(, it takes to long to display, even without updating the LCD.
I'm using Celtic III's hex sprite routine because it saves pic data for other things and displays faster than Text( and identity(10, as well as allowing me to add special characters like
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 07 Jan 2010 07:15:44 pm    Post subject:

I've been playing with mapping and I have a now seemingly glitch-free map of Pallet Town running.

As always, wabbit makes it flickery, but it's much better on hardware.
I've attached the programs necessary so you can see for yourselves.
The tiles may glitch if the pics are archived, so leave them in the RAM.
Celtic III is required, but I didn't include it in the zip.

[attachment=3006:Grey_Walk_Demo.gif]

[attachment=3005:Pallet_Map.zip]
Please let me know what you think.
Wall checking isn't implemented yet, so you can walk through stuff, but it won't let you bypass the matrix's limits, keeping it from erring or crashing.
Don't walk onto the tall grass, the program it calls was an early event test.
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Jan 2010 07:53:59 pm    Post subject:

What causes the random white screen between movements?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 6 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement