This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
Galandros

Posted: 21 Oct 2009 01:04:28 pm    Post subject:

Is it possible to build a rom file with asm code that you want to use on a emulator and run your code without the TI-OS?
Example:

Code:
#include "buildrom.asm"

#define PRGM
;#define APPS

;put your code here:
your_code:
#include "mygame.asm"

#include "fillrom.asm"
.end

You define PRGM when the code starts at userMem and APPS for $4000.
The APPS needs the pages positioning, jump over the header, etc..

Assemblers like spasm can output to a .bin file that emulators accept. So remains someone with z80, TI-OS and calc hardware stuff to do the rom.
The rom would suppress the b_call, rst, interrupt calls (except custom), etc..

Advantages:
- People without roms (for several reasons) can test their ASM programs or give anyone to test/play legally. (no TI-OS is included)

Disadvantages:
- lots of work with few uses and more disadvantages than good reasons, I think
- Problems with TI-OS integration and crashes won't be tested
- It can't use any TI-OS routines
- other unpredictable problems

Anyway, suspecting of its overwhelming disadvantages, I wanted to bring to discussing anyway.
This idea appeared because of discussion to use online emulators to show some calculator programs.
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 Oct 2009 03:57:07 pm    Post subject:

Why is a rom even necessary? I always wondered why we needed a rom image, when we had an operating system.
Galandros

Posted: 21 Oct 2009 04:47:49 pm    Post subject:

Graphmastur wrote:
Why is a rom even necessary? I always wondered why we needed a rom image, when we had an operating system.

Not bad ideia. CSX had some support for assembly programs but you had to hexedit it. I could look a bit on it and pong.

If I find a easy way to build the OS with custom code and spasm, I will post.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 Oct 2009 05:33:09 pm    Post subject:

You could, but there's not a whole lot you can do without the OS. Everything relies on it quite a bit.

I think it would be better to combine BootFree (a boot code replacement for use in emulators by Benjamin Moody) and an 8XU OS upgrade off education.ti.com with rom8x to come up with a working ROM, and then you can test against that. You can do all that without even owning the calculator.
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 Oct 2009 07:59:26 pm    Post subject:

For most programs, it's true that you don't need the entire OS available (especially if all you want to do is run the program in an emulator.) The harder question is which subset of the OS you actually need. :)

Still, most OS routines (and especially the ones that are most often used in assembly programs) perform fairly straightforward functions, and should not be that difficult to re-implement.
Galandros

Posted: 22 Oct 2009 07:53:26 am    Post subject:

brandonw wrote:
You could, but there's not a whole lot you can do without the OS. Everything relies on it quite a bit.

I think it would be better to combine BootFree (a boot code replacement for use in emulators by Benjamin Moody) and an 8XU OS upgrade off education.ti.com with rom8x to come up with a working ROM, and then you can test against that. You can do all that without even owning the calculator.

Another thing to check. BootFree.zip is no longer online in Benjamin Moody site (the one with pindurTI) but google code has it in its cache. I can rescue from the google code cache (it is not easily downloaded). But if someone possess, it would be nice to give.

FloppusMaximus wrote:
For most programs, it's true that you don't need the entire OS available (especially if all you want to do is run the program in an emulator.) The harder question is which subset of the OS you actually need. :)

Still, most OS routines (and especially the ones that are most often used in assembly programs) perform fairly straightforward functions, and should not be that difficult to re-implement.

I only need a kind of minimal OS that deals with the hardware stuff and ram and rom equates available like the TI-OS (especially safe rams).
Yes, TI-OS routines won't be great problem.
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 23 Oct 2009 04:23:50 am    Post subject:

Im pretty sure WabbitDS ships a bootfree binary, but im sure if you ask Ben nicely he can provide you with a fresh copy Smile.

Last edited by Guest on 23 Oct 2009 04:25:18 am; edited 1 time in total
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 23 Oct 2009 09:02:59 pm    Post subject:

See here - I never put it on ticalc.org or anything since it was never really finished, but it works well enough for many purposes.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement