This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Oct 2009 06:44:39 pm    Post subject:

Buckeye Dude and I had a discussion, we're probably doing pucrunch.
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Oct 2009 09:24:53 pm    Post subject:

Graphmastur wrote:
Hmmm. Is Lz77 the same as zlib .zip compression? It looks like it works the same way.

Most zip files use the Deflate algorithm, which is basically a combination of an LZ77-like technique with Huffman coding, applied on a block-by-block basis. zlib is an implementation of that algorithm.

Strictly speaking, LZ77 refers specifically to the algorithm described by Lempel and Ziv in their 1977 paper, which is very inefficient for most real-world data and you should never use it. But LZ77-like compression schemes are quite popular (pucrunch being another example.) The basic idea of encoding strings by references into a "sliding window" is a very powerful and useful one.

(The term LZ77 is used to distinguish this type of technique from the somewhat related "LZ78-like" dictionary compression techniques, which can be more effective, but also require considerably more memory and time to decompress.)
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 23 Oct 2009 03:40:12 am    Post subject:

thats right, im using lz77 with an 131-byte sliding windows and a max string lengt of 32

coupeled with von-haufmann, each "string pointer" is just 16 bits, and decompressing is FAAAST
just about 50 cc' per tile, AKA 14 miliseconds to decompress an 58*22 map (~1300 bytes)

well, decompressing is verry slow (~1 min in 15 mhz mode) but its worth it
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 23 Oct 2009 04:09:03 am    Post subject:

Ive made use of puCrunch before and i must say that i am impressed with the results. Of course as has been previoulsy mentioned, it all depends on your data.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Oct 2009 06:33:08 pm    Post subject:

About how well would you say Lz77 and pucrunch compress text? Factoring in the size of the algorithm does it usually pay off? (Maybe I should look at those TI eBook projects are doing.)
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 23 Oct 2009 09:18:26 pm    Post subject:

The TICT eBook reader, I believe, uses a slightly modified version of pucrunch.

My eBook project uses an LZ77-and-Huffman approach of my own design (which I've been thinking about trying to improve, but it works OK.) I found it significantly better than pucrunch, particularly for small block sizes.

I never figured out the format for TI's eBook reader app for the 68ks, but whatever it is, it gives you something like -100% compression. Smile
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 24 Oct 2009 06:50:14 pm    Post subject:

maybe it's trying to reduce the size by decompressing it, that would be cool Laughing
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement