This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
tummychow

Posted: 06 Oct 2009 04:23:46 pm    Post subject:

Alright, so I'm quite new around here. I am an avid user of my TI-83+ and recently came across an epic Duck Hunt clone, plus source.
However, there are some problems I found with it that annoy me:
1. No 8 directions. Only four, which makes hitting the duck more difficult. It would be perfect if there was an option for this, but I'm probably asking for too much.
2. Only five levels.
I would want it to go from 60% of 10 ducks, to 70, to 80, to 90, then 100%, then increase the total duck count by ten and go 60, 70, 80, 90, 100% again, etc forever.
3. Ducks don't get noticeably faster. Maybe make it a bit faster over each level so that the acceleration is only noticeable after each five levels.
4. Menu takes Enter instead of 2nd.

Now, I've tried before, but I simply do not know how to program ASM. Source and program attached, could someone please help?
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 06 Oct 2009 05:54:56 pm    Post subject:

You will probably have to get authorisation from the author to make (and distribute) those modifications.

That said, most of those are easy enough to implement, however im not sure what you mean by the remark after point 2?
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Oct 2009 09:40:52 am    Post subject:

Learn ASM from the course at dragonfire.unitedti.org/asmin28. Then you should do it yourself. It's a good exercise!
polarBody

Posted: 07 Oct 2009 09:58:37 am    Post subject:

Yes, the tutorial that Mapar007 mentioned is a good one. I know because I'm currently working through it myself! One thing to keep in mind is that this tutorial is only useful if you already have some knowledge of programming in a C-like language. I know this from experience, as well.
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Oct 2009 05:48:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
One thing to keep in mind is that this tutorial is only useful if you already have some knowledge of programming in a C-like language. I know this from experience, as well.

I concur. C or C++ is the closest launguage you will ever get to ASM, even though it is relatively simpler. The one big switch you make to ASM is learning to edit ram directly and how to handle direct control over the processor. You also learn that most commands require repetition of several commands rather than a few keywords and API functions. But C or C++ will make your learning of ASM much, much smoother.
thepenguin77

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 07 Oct 2009 06:30:06 pm    Post subject:

polarBody wrote:
One thing to keep in mind is that this tutorial is only useful if you already have some knowledge of programming in a C-like language.

Although, if you don't have that knowledge, the tutorial will still help. I learned asm after only learning Ti-Basic and I still can't do too much with C++.
polarBody

Posted: 07 Oct 2009 11:57:23 pm    Post subject:

thepenguin77 wrote:
polarBody wrote:
One thing to keep in mind is that this tutorial is only useful if you already have some knowledge of programming in a C-like language.

Although, if you don't have that knowledge, the tutorial will still help. I learned asm after only learning Ti-Basic and I still can't do too much with C++.

Really? Well then, my hat's off to you! When I first attempted the 28 days tutorial knowing only TI-BASIC, I felt like I was in way over my head. Of course, that may be because I didn't have enough experience with BASIC at the time. Perhaps you had a more solid foundation in TI-BASIC than I did, or maybe you're just a super-genius Smile
thepenguin77

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 08 Oct 2009 05:38:09 pm    Post subject:

Well I learned TI-BASIC through experimentation, and I eventually made pong, a tunnel with characters, and a tap tap. So I guess I wouldn't be the average person. But the first 7 days of the 28 are really a killer. I actually took like a two week break and re-did them.
polarBody

Posted: 08 Oct 2009 08:54:01 pm    Post subject:

Well, you seem to be a pretty determined individual to have gotten through that tutorial with your level of programming experience. I guarantee you, though, that you would have had a much easier time with the first two weeks if you had had some C/C++/Java experience under your belt. That level of experience has probably been the difference between success and failure for a lot of people.

tummychow, what is your level of programming experience? If you know some C++ etc., you could probably dive right into the 28 days tutorial. If your a novice, and you're as determined as thepenguin77 is, then you could still give 28 days a try, but I personally wouldn't recommend it. I don't know of any good z80 asm tutorials for novices (perhaps another member of this forum does), but here's a good introduction to intel asm, geared towards people with little or no programming experience. Anything you learn in intel asm will easily transfer to z80 asm.
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 09 Oct 2009 03:43:45 am    Post subject:

The only problem with this particular program is that it isnt really structured correctly. Which is why i dont believe it would be a good starting point for an ASM beginner. The main loop jumps to the key routines which jump to a few drawing routines which then jump back to the main loop. It might get confusing :S.
Madskillz

Posted: 09 Oct 2009 07:10:17 pm    Post subject:

ya I agree, it does tend to jump around a bit.

Those things you want done are not extremely difficult to do. I think you could do them yourself as always if you needed help just ask.
tummychow

Posted: 10 Oct 2009 01:59:41 pm    Post subject:

I can't even get it to compile without any modifications, even with ion.inc and the source includes... suggestions?

Btw, how would I port this prog into mirage?

Last edited by Guest on 10 Oct 2009 02:01:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
ztrumpet

Posted: 10 Oct 2009 03:03:22 pm    Post subject:

If it's an ion program, it will show up in Mirage.
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 11 Oct 2009 09:07:25 pm    Post subject:

You might have to include a few definitions to cover for the non-standard bcall aliases. When i get home from work i can take a look for you if you like?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement