TLM
This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
TLM
jsj795

Posted: 16 Sep 2009 01:31:29 pm    Post subject:

I am currently planning/programming a massive RPG. This game will consist of 3 races, Dwarf, Human, and Elf.
They can each have one class, warrior, archer, or mage. Each class can be upgraded to one of 2 advanced classes, like warrior can be either knight or paladin. Every race/class/adv. class has a special bonus/trait, such as 25% bonus on fire attack/resistance.

This game will be like Final Fantasy Tactics, where you start at town, get quest, finish quest, come back, do more quest, upgrade, etc...
There will be features such as crafting the weapons/armors (upgrading them w/ runes&gems etc.), storyline, side quest, multiplayer fight via link, and others.

I plan to make it pure BASIC (at least I'll try).
thebetter1

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 22 Sep 2009 10:58:34 pm    Post subject:

Take my advice: DON'T.

I am still programming Awakening after over a year. The game is not even playable; all you can do so far is walk around and pull a switch to go into some more screens, eat, and sleep. After a year, I'm just starting to implement stats, and the combat system hasn't even been touched. And after all this, I still need to draw 1000 action-packed screens.

There is no way you will be able to make a truly massive RPG in pure basic. You are limited to 24 kb of RAM for your actual programs, so any data beyond this has to be stored in slow, inefficient lists. Get a lib.

Seeing as you only have 1 post (welcome to UTI!), you probably don't have enough experience to take on a massive RPG. You should probably shy away from RPGs altogether. If you really like your game design model, you would probably be better off going for strategy (that way, people could make custom levels, reducing the need for large data storage).

My 3 cents.
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Sep 2009 11:37:55 pm    Post subject:

Just because you made only one post, we can't assume you lack experience--hey, I started out with only one post, and now many people are looking forward to the game I'm working on, and have even joined in to help!

Unfortunately, though, thebetter1 has a lot of good points. There's nothing wrong with goals, but try not to bite off more than you can chew. I can give an example, Rebma Boss's Ti-Basic+ project (you can find it here by searching for it, I just happened to come across it). He mentioned he had a lot of programming experience, but quit the project because he lost interest in programming altogether...while I'm sure he was telling the truth, I suspect from his posts that another reason is he was getting desperate, it seemed like he couldn't handle the project because he tried something that was too big for him.
Builderboy2005

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 22 Sep 2009 11:45:59 pm    Post subject:

Hi Joshua Jung! And welcome to UTI!

I don't want to discourage you from making your game, because it sounds awesome, but I might suggest that if this is your first time programing, you might want to take a smaller project before you tackle this one. As TheBetter1 said (although rather harshly DSmile it is very difficult to make these types of games, even for experienced programmers.

That being said, I hope you aren't discouraged from making games, and I hope we hear more from you soon!
jsj795

Posted: 23 Sep 2009 01:21:57 pm    Post subject:

Oh... Well, this isn't my first time programming tho... I have been programming for over 3 years (my 4th year right now) but then before, I usually kept quiet and read the forums as guest, and learned... I have made many games, which I never posted, because they mostly sucked overall, but learned many things from them. So I decided to put my 3 yrs of experience together to see how much i can do. And for the 24k barrier, I plan to either compile it in BASIC flash, or use small asm lib like xcopy. I know that my game will be wayyyyy bigger than 24k. Anyway, thanks for all support, and I will try to put some screenies when I get some progress...
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 23 Sep 2009 01:29:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I decided to put my 3 yrs of experience together to see how much i can do.

Good for you! I can't wait to see your progress Smile
Builderboy2005

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 23 Sep 2009 02:47:50 pm    Post subject:

Oh nice! Its cool that you're tackling a project this big! ^^ nevermind the previous pesimistic comments Razz as they were under the (incorect) assumption that you were new, and we generaly try to dissusuade new programers from tackling projects too big to handle, but as you have been programing for a while, it should be great! I hope we here more soon! Very Happy
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 01 Nov 2009 11:25:17 am    Post subject:

How are things coming? Any progress?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
TLM
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement