This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
becauseican17

Posted: 01 Sep 2009 07:06:28 pm    Post subject:

Hello all, my screen is a little screwed up. I tried reinstalling the OS but that didn't help anything. I've attached what the screen looks like. I was wondering how i can reinstall the BIOS. I've downloaded a few .bin files but TI-Connect isn't allowing me to use them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I found this website to download the BIOS... can anyone help me install it? http://zelkin.co.cc/roms/TOSEC/Texas%20Instruments%20TI-83/

Last edited by Guest on 01 Sep 2009 07:24:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 01 Sep 2009 07:25:23 pm    Post subject:

Do a self test, by doing mode and then alpha+S
becauseican17

Posted: 01 Sep 2009 07:32:46 pm    Post subject:

My BOOT code is 1.00 and my BASE code is 1.19. I'm pretty sure my BASE code is up to date, but i know the BOOT can be updated cause my friend has 1.01. Any suggestions for that?
Taricorp

Posted: 01 Sep 2009 08:27:46 pm    Post subject:

becauseican17 wrote:
I'm pretty sure my BASE code is up to date, but i know the BOOT can be updated cause my friend has 1.01. Any suggestions for that?
No, it's impossible that your boot code is broken in any way. Your problem is somewhere else. Based on your description, it sounds like a failure somewhere in the LCD/LCD driver.
Some of the newer 83+s floating around have boot 1.01, but I don't know offhand what was changed with that version jump (84+/SE always have boot 1.02, but that's another story altogether).

While it is indeed possible that there are bugs in the boot code, they would be well-known by this time if there were any.
Furthermore, you can't erase the boot code merely through software- you (presumably) need to apply +12V on a certain pin of the Flash chip to unlock that sector before it can be erased/written, and TI's code will never try to do either of those anyway.
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 01 Sep 2009 10:05:45 pm    Post subject:

In normal operation, the boot code has nothing to do with the LCD. And as Taricorp said, it's not possible to replace the boot code anyway.
becauseican17

Posted: 01 Sep 2009 10:38:16 pm    Post subject:

OK thanks. so i should look for an LCD driver? there is no damage to the screen itself.

BTW, how long does the Self test usually take? mine has been going on forever.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Sep 2009 10:39:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrDnar

Posted: 01 Sep 2009 11:06:58 pm    Post subject:

It's impossible to screw up the boot code. When Flop mentioned an LCD driver, he meant that the problem is in the chip that drives the LCD, not a piece of software. You might have a hardware fault.

You have to press certain keys at certain times during the self-test. Try On, Clear, and Enter. When it's done, you'll get a RAM reset.
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Sep 2009 12:05:42 am    Post subject:

I've seen that kind of thing happen to another TI-83 Plus before. Never was able to fix it but I almost did by attempting to re-solder the ribbon cable from the LCD to that smaller green board. If I had a chance to do it again, I think it would've been successful because it "almost" was fixed at some point during my experimentations. The project got scrapped because I "missed" and hit the actual ribbon part of the cable, effectively melting a hole in it. It was a math lab calculator and it was already considered "broken" before my grubby little paws touched the thing.

If you're willing to find out if you can attempt the same type of "repair," open up your calculator and try it. Your chances of fixing that kind of error, however, is astronomically low. I would guess it's time to buy a new calculator.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Sep 2009 12:09:52 am; edited 1 time in total
becauseican17

Posted: 02 Sep 2009 08:58:17 am    Post subject:

I tried a self test and it just start counting numbers... when should i press on, enter, or clear?
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Sep 2009 10:02:13 am    Post subject:

When you get to the screen where it asks you to press keys, you just press every key from the top to the bottom (left to right in rows) except on, and the selftest will continue.

(it starts with 11 appearing on the screen, they're TI-BASIC key codes)
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Sep 2009 10:02:32 am    Post subject:

becauseican17 wrote:
I tried a self test and it just start counting numbers... when should i press on, enter, or clear?

see:
http://brandonw.net/calcstuff/selfTest.txt
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement