This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. S.A.D. (Seek and Destroy) =>
ztrumpet

Posted: 23 Nov 2009 03:50:54 pm    Post subject:

That's a very cool, well written post. I kinda see more into how awesome this game will be.
TI-newb

Posted: 23 Nov 2009 08:36:13 pm    Post subject:

I cannot believe i have not heard of this yet =OOOOO THIS IS AMAZING !!!

I love how you can have two calcs connected and playing against each other.
This looks amazing, and it looks like a type of game that stretches the calculator to the limits with Basic. + Celtic.

I Luv how this game is going and i cant wait till its finished. Good job.
ztrumpet

Posted: 23 Nov 2009 08:45:06 pm    Post subject:

[quote name='TI-newb' post='138917' date='Nov 23 2009, 08:36 PM']This looks amazing, and it looks like a type of game that stretches the calculator to the limits with Basic. + Celtic.[/quote]
lol, but it's in Asm...
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 23 Nov 2009 09:04:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
This looks amazing, and it looks like a type of game that stretches the calculator to the limits with Basic. + Celtic.
Quote:
lol, but it's in Asm...

Yeah, we tried Basic and Celtic III, and we couldn't get enough frames per second. Even ASM is going to be pushed to the limits with this game.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Nov 2009 09:16:23 pm    Post subject:

"Coming soon to Asm: A game that pushes the limits and stretches the imagination..." :biggrin:
TI-newb

Posted: 23 Nov 2009 09:50:38 pm    Post subject:

yeah, what Digitan said =DD Sorry, i just started reading this, and i read the whole 1st and 2nd pages, and then skimmed through the rest. =D (i just dont have that much time lol) So wow, This is on asm. man this is gonna be great. And sorry for that mistake back there.
GloryMXE7
Puzzleman 3000

Posted: 23 Nov 2009 09:54:37 pm    Post subject:

well Firefox blocked the 7th page so i havent been up to date
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 23 Nov 2009 09:56:35 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
well Firefox blocked the 7th page so i havent been up to date

Assuming the 7th page is still blocked, and seeing your interest in this project, do you need an update? I can simply send you a message summarizing page 7
GloryMXE7
Puzzleman 3000

Posted: 23 Nov 2009 09:57:12 pm    Post subject:

sure that would be great
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 27 Nov 2009 09:59:10 pm    Post subject:

Random Fact #5:

Unlike many RTS games, you can save and load a multiplayer game that involves linked play. This is because if you are playing multiplayer with some friends, chances are you're going to be playing several games and therefore need to save so you can continue later...this feature won't be hard to add. The only restriction is, the player who hosted the game must load the saved game first, and then the person who joined the game rather than hosted it loads the game second. Also, only the host can save the game, although it will be saved onto both calculators.

By the way, there is not going to be a feature that prevents your teacher from seeing you play the game. If you're in class, you should be learning, not playing S.A.D. Neutral
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 27 Nov 2009 10:47:40 pm    Post subject:

Just curious, but is there anything you haven't thought of? This sounds like one of those games that I won't be able to play well, but will probably be addicted to.

Good luck.
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 27 Nov 2009 10:53:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
This sounds like one of those games that I won't be able to play well, but will probably be addicted to.

Chances are if you're addicted to the game, you'll be able to play it long enough to earn a lot of experience and, eventually, play well. It's one of those RTS games that will take "a day to learn, a month to master"; we're going to make sure the game is good for a general audience, begineers and advanced alike. Of course, some people will just be pure experts at the game Smile No doubt there will be many people around the globe who get so good at the game, they will beat the daylights out of me in any game I play against them

Last edited by Guest on 27 Nov 2009 11:11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 27 Nov 2009 11:51:15 pm    Post subject:

What would be awesome, is if you made it so that if the computer on insane mode made a mistake, it wouldn't make it next time.
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Nov 2009 12:37:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:
What would be awesome, is if you made it so that if the computer on insane mode made a mistake, it wouldn't make it next time.

I'll keep that in mind; I'm hoping though that if a player beats an Insane AI, it's not because of a mistake the AI makes, it's because the player is exceptionally good though the AI tries its hardest. I'm not 100% sure what kind of AI we're doing, we've only done the big picture in AI planning. It might not be neural net, it might not be "learning from your mistakes," but it will divise a strategy depending on how the player sets up the map and/or what units the player uses. So it would be a partial neural net if not fully neural net. This won't be hard since the game will not be modable without tampering with the source code. The big picture is, the AI will, on both Advanced and Insance, have a perfect counter to every ship and every map layout...Splitrons for Universal Defense, Tanks for areas with large arrays of point defense, Balkstones where there's tons of defense but no Universal Defense...I'd better not say anything more, lest people plan on how to beat the AI on Insane Wink

Last edited by Guest on 28 Nov 2009 12:42:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Nov 2009 01:16:22 am    Post subject:

If you can do multiplayer, you can test insane by putting two calcs against each other, and watch them battle it out.

That would be funny.
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Nov 2009 10:36:53 am    Post subject:

Quote:
If you can do multiplayer, you can test insane by putting two calcs against each other, and watch them battle it out.

That would be funny.

I owe you one...that's a magnificant idea Very Happy

Sounds like you might be interested in helping us with balance testing when we reach that stage. With balance testing, we'll have one map available with full AI and multiplayer capabilities (essientally a pre-demo release), and selected volunteers will play lots of games against the AI, another player, or even multiple AIs. The players will report bugs, issues, or game reports concerning balancing...things such as whether one unit has too much advantage over another, whether Medium Hard AI cannot be beaten easily by experts, or if defense is either too powerful or useless in the game. We'll be looking for volunteers as time approaches, including, but not limited to, those who have a friend willing to help out (so that multiplayer can be tested)

One note about AI: My hope is not to have a cheating AI. If, by pure miracle, nobody can beat Insane AI, it will not be because the AI is cheating. Computers always have the advantage over humans in simple computation/reaction times, but that is the ONLY advantage Insane AI will have over the player.
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Nov 2009 03:17:57 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like Fun. This compels me to work one ConenctionAPI. That way, if you had one virtual calc, and a real calc, then you could have them battle.

Or better yet, have a computer program go against the AI like a stress test. EG, the computer beat the lowest AI in X moves, and it tied with Insane. That way, you could collect a model of data, and say that the easy AI is 95% beatable. Theoretically, that means that 95% of the time, by an expert, it can be beaten. Easy AI should have 100% rating for that. Just an idea, though. I will explain more if I need to.
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Nov 2009 03:28:13 pm    Post subject:

I'm using a computer program that runs up to four calculators at the same time. I used this to debug the multiplayer menu, so it should work for AI testing. However, I might need you to explain your last paragraph more. I think I get the general idea...testing all AIs against each other, and testing efficiency? Such as Insane against Hard, Medium Hard against Medium Hard, Easy against Easy, Very Easy against Medium, etc.?
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Nov 2009 05:33:56 pm    Post subject:

In other words, we have a learning computer. It simulates a learning human. We put it against the easy AI. It goes until it can beat the easy AI 100% of the time. Say it took 37 times before it learned how to beat it. That's really bad for an easy level. Especially since it's a computer. Someone would throw away your game before they did this 37 times. And that's if they are like a computer.

You could also set it up so that the computer tries easy, and then once it can beat that 100% of the time, moves on to the next AI. This can be used to develop strategies, but without the human testing.

Also, where is that computer program? I would love to see it.
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Nov 2009 05:55:11 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
In other words, we have a learning computer. It simulates a learning human. We put it against the easy AI. It goes until it can beat the easy AI 100% of the time. Say it took 37 times before it learned how to beat it. That's really bad for an easy level. Especially since it's a computer. Someone would throw away your game before they did this 37 times. And that's if they are like a computer.

I think we'll do this in balance testing using several "learning humans" instead of one learning computer. While you have a very smart idea, it might be difficult to develop an AI that's constantly learning new things, let alone with only 3 people working on this game. With school and what now, we can't put in as much time as we would like, so a computer that can learn new things can be a real challenge to develop.

Oh, and the computer program for multiple calculators is called PindurTI. http://wikiti.brandonw.net/?title=PindurTI

Incidentally, this would probably be a good time to remark that we can still use some aid with S.A.D. While we have programming and picture-designing positions available, there are smaller jobs available that don't require any code or graphical skills. There are also no deadlines. If you're interested in knowing what you can do, you know where to ask Smile
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 8 of 11 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement